how to upgrade tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
without upgrading the light?

I've got an Orbit 130W PC/actinic over my 29 gallon tank. It's 30" long, which sits right on top of the stand with the legs on either side. I want to upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder, but I don't particularly want to add any more wattage. I think with the shallower water level, the lighting is adequate for what I have in my tank.

Problem is this: How do I fit the light I have now over a 40 Gallon breeder when the breeder is 6 inches longer than the lights? I don't think my landlord would be thrilled with me drilling into the ceiling of their apartment. My idea was to find some sort of stainless steel bar cut to fit the tank (front to back), and set the legs of the lights over that on both sides.

Just throwing around some ideas. Open to any constructive suggestions.

TIA

YOu can take some 1/2" wiring conduit and a pipe bender and create a mount that you u-bolt to the back of your stand, then bend over at a 90° angle to come out over the tank. Then, a simple drill and an eye-bolt and you've created a hanger. A little chain and some hooks and voila, instant light hanger.

GWAPA did this for a demonstration at our club meeting a few months back. Here's a synopsis for ya. http://gwapa.org/articles/july2007/

That link gives a nice general description of the process. Is there one that is more "step by step"? I'm sure I could borrow a power drill. And what in the world is an eye bolt? Did he specify what kind of chain? This will be a neat project to do this month. Finally, how do you attach the chain to the light?

You always use wood. I have a portable one I built that I use to hang a MH pendent over a 20L. The Tank sits on the base of the light stand and it has an arm that goes up and over.

Or you could build a canopy to sit on the tank and mount the light inside.

Or you could just use some acrylic sheets that sit on the top of the tank and allow the light to sit on top. The center could still be open.

Lot of options!

would an acrylic sheet be able to hold up an ORBIT PC set up? Can't remember how much it weights. It's the 130 watt model, 30". If the acrylic will work, that would be the best option! :) And, where would I get it? Will Home Depot have it?

Is there a suspension kit available for this fixture? Hanging it would not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom