Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How tough are they?

What has your fish, invert, or coral gone through that you didn't think was possible? (not cycling, or abusing it, etc.)

So a couple hours ago I found a nerite snail on the floor. It was strange, but I read that they can get out. I thought it was dead for sure, but I put it in a cup of water just in case. I put the cup on egg crate that was over a 20 gallon that's cycling...it has some nitrites still and high nitrates. Anyway, I was busy and forgot to check on the guy and see if he was alive so I could put him back in my tank. I couldn't find him in the cup and he fell into the aquarium and was active...so weird, this is the second nerite that fell out of the tank and revived when I put him back in water.

Other slightly comical, unexpected experiences?

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I got my Mickey Mouse Platy (named Mickey Mouse.... Original, I know) from Walmart (horrible, but my only choice unless I drive 35 minutes to PetSmart). When I went to get it, the regular fish guy was not there, so a lady netted him out for me. While she was putting it in the bag, she dropped the fish about 5 feet onto the hard floor. She then proceeded to pick it up with her long fingernails after dragging it around the floor a bit since she couldn't pick it up, then plopped it into the bag. I was worried, but it's been alive for about 3 months now. Tough little guy!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is not really comical but i had a 20gal that would evap a gallon per day. One time the water got so low that some stalks of xenia growing on the wall had their bases out of the water for like 3-4 days. They really looked like crap. I really thought they were done for. but I scraped them off and netted them to a rock anyway. A week later they were thriving again.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by umramgirl86
Well, I got my Mickey Mouse Platy (named Mickey Mouse.... Original, I know) from Walmart (horrible, but my only choice unless I drive 35 minutes to PetSmart). When I went to get it, the regular fish guy was not there, so a lady netted him out for me. While she was putting it in the bag, she dropped the fish about 5 feet onto the hard floor. She then proceeded to pick it up with her long fingernails after dragging it around the floor a bit since she couldn't pick it up, then plopped it into the bag. I was worried, but it's been alive for about 3 months now. Tough little guy!
lol. I wouldve had her catch another one for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWoWee

lol. I wouldve had her catch another one for me.
Would've, but it was the last one... :-/
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crazy how hardy those guys are. Wish Walmart didn't sell anything live...in regards with fish. If they started selling hamsters, birds, or lizards..I don't know what I'd do.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Walmart sucks with there fish bagging abilities I also had a crazy experience with them.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wish I knew the actual name of these guys but all i know them as legless salamanders. They are blueish/purple, snake-like and I used to see them in fish stores all the time. I had a pair in a freshwater tank about 15 years ago. One time I had to move a buddy helped me catch, breakdown, transport, an setup the four tanks I had running. Sad to say he was loading a bucket in the back of his truck that had the two in it. Somehow one got out in the truck bed while we were still loading it. My friend went to close the tailgate and it was not shutting properly so he opened and shut it hard several times until he realized the salamander was blocking it from shutting and was getting repeatedly hit. Amazingly even tho it was mightily bruised up it acted fine and lived for several years until I sold them.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow I thought for sure he would die . Glad he survived. I think I should move this to the off topic discussions. How do I move a thread?

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
Walmart sucks with there fish bagging abilities I also had a crazy experience with them.
What kind of crazy experience?

- Winston Churchill

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com