How tough are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
What has your fish, invert, or coral gone through that you didn't think was possible? (not cycling, or abusing it, etc.)

So a couple hours ago I found a nerite snail on the floor. It was strange, but I read that they can get out. I thought it was dead for sure, but I put it in a cup of water just in case. I put the cup on egg crate that was over a 20 gallon that's cycling...it has some nitrites still and high nitrates. Anyway, I was busy and forgot to check on the guy and see if he was alive so I could put him back in my tank. I couldn't find him in the cup and he fell into the aquarium and was active...so weird, this is the second nerite that fell out of the tank and revived when I put him back in water.

Other slightly comical, unexpected experiences?

Well, I got my Mickey Mouse Platy (named Mickey Mouse.... Original, I know) from Walmart (horrible, but my only choice unless I drive 35 minutes to PetSmart). When I went to get it, the regular fish guy was not there, so a lady netted him out for me. While she was putting it in the bag, she dropped the fish about 5 feet onto the hard floor. She then proceeded to pick it up with her long fingernails after dragging it around the floor a bit since she couldn't pick it up, then plopped it into the bag. I was worried, but it's been alive for about 3 months now. Tough little guy!

This is not really comical but i had a 20gal that would evap a gallon per day. One time the water got so low that some stalks of xenia growing on the wall had their bases out of the water for like 3-4 days. They really looked like crap. I really thought they were done for. but I scraped them off and netted them to a rock anyway. A week later they were thriving again.

umramgirl86 said:
Well, I got my Mickey Mouse Platy (named Mickey Mouse.... Original, I know) from Walmart (horrible, but my only choice unless I drive 35 minutes to PetSmart). When I went to get it, the regular fish guy was not there, so a lady netted him out for me. While she was putting it in the bag, she dropped the fish about 5 feet onto the hard floor. She then proceeded to pick it up with her long fingernails after dragging it around the floor a bit since she couldn't pick it up, then plopped it into the bag. I was worried, but it's been alive for about 3 months now. Tough little guy!

lol. I wouldve had her catch another one for me.

Crazy how hardy those guys are. Wish Walmart didn't sell anything live...in regards with fish. If they started selling hamsters, birds, or lizards..I don't know what I'd do. :nono:

Walmart sucks with there fish bagging abilities I also had a crazy experience with them.

Wish I knew the actual name of these guys but all i know them as legless salamanders. They are blueish/purple, snake-like and I used to see them in fish stores all the time. I had a pair in a freshwater tank about 15 years ago. One time I had to move a buddy helped me catch, breakdown, transport, an setup the four tanks I had running. Sad to say he was loading a bucket in the back of his truck that had the two in it. Somehow one got out in the truck bed while we were still loading it. My friend went to close the tailgate and it was not shutting properly so he opened and shut it hard several times until he realized the salamander was blocking it from shutting and was getting repeatedly hit. Amazingly even tho it was mightily bruised up it acted fine and lived for several years until I sold them.

Oh wow I thought for sure he would die :(. Glad he survived. I think I should move this to the off topic discussions. How do I move a thread?

obscurereef said:
Oh wow I thought for sure he would die :(. Glad he survived. I think I should move this to the off topic discussions. How do I move a thread?

Uhh.. only mods can move threads.
You can report it to them and suggest it be moved

obscurereef said:

Oh man, sorry! I didn't realize until you said this that this was a saltwater thread. Sorry to get off topic... :(

I once had a hermit crab combing in the outside of my tank, funniest moment and scariest too, worried if he would've fell :( So I now call him Spider-Man

Reefman97 said:
I once had a hermit crab climbing on the outside of my tank, funniest moment and scariest too, worried if he would've fell :( So I now call him Spider-Man haha. Other then that I'm having good luck.

obscurereef said:
What kind of crazy experience?

Not being able to get an individual fish and scooping a whole net of fish to pick one up with her hands.. Using a large bag about 16 inches tall and dropping the fish a foot into 2 cups or so of water... Including to snails who's shells were cracked from it... Not as interesting as some of these stories but obnoxious in its own right.

Not being able to get an individual fish and scooping a whole net of fish to pick one up with her hands.. Using a large bag about 16 inches tall and dropping the fish a foot into 2 cups or so of water... Including to snails who's shells were cracked from it... Not as interesting as some of these stories but obnoxious in its own right.

Wow. I wish people had knowledge of how to do something. I don't know some sort of brief training to say what and what not to do..

Back
Top Bottom