Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How venomous is a lionfish?

I've just acquired a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and would like to know how careful I really need to be when performing maintenance.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you alergic to bee stings? If so then take the same precautions you would when your in an area that has bees. They can be very dangerious if your overly sensitive to their toxin. The toxin is in the same faimly as bee toxin. It can cause swelling that if in the wrong location can cut off your air supply and cause death.

At the very least the sting would cause extreme pain and localized swelling.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would be extremely careful with anything that can give a venomous sting. As stated above it is extremely painful. I don't believe you will have to worry about it attacking you. Just make sure you don't get too close.
2 Chinese Algae Eaters
2 Corys (one green, one julian)
8 Blue Neon Tetras

29 gal sw with 10 lbs lr
1 Blue Damsel
1 Green Chromis
1 Pajama Cardinal
1 Tomato Clown
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Lawn Mower Blenny
1 Zebra Hermit
4 Blue Legged Hermits

1 2/3 gal fw
1 male, violet betta
1 male, white/pale blue betta
(tank divider)
Mr. R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't be to sure on the not attacking part. I have two lions and they will charge you. Rather out of aggression, shear orneriness or food aggression, I'm not sure. I just know I can't put my hands in the tank without them coming after me. I never even fool with their tank unless my husband is with me except to do water changes. I never hurts to have another set of eyes watching out for them. They are comical though when they point their heads down and flare up. Good luck with your dwarf. Once they get to know you, there is no sneaking around them. Mine comes to the glass as soon as I enter the room. Lovely fish. Enjoy.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 AM   #5

sounds very lovely....LOL
Old 08-18-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I'm with fluff, I dont work on my tank without a second set of eyes on the lion. I had neverf seen him get aggressive till I was trying to net another fish one day and tried to get him out of the way with a stick. He nailed the stick several times with his stingers before I could react to it. I learned a great deal of respect for him that day.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:11 AM   #7

If I had a lionfish (which might be a possibility in the future), and it attacked me, resulting in me getting stung, I would release it into the ocean (2 min car ride, I'm too lazy to walk).
Old 08-18-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
At the very least the sting would cause extreme pain and localized swelling.
My experience, but the reaction and pain can be minimised greatly by immersing the hand (usually the aprt stung) in as hot water as you can stand for 20-30 minutes....the heat breaks down the protein chains in the venom...I have used this method quite successfully for both volitan lion and coral catfish (Plotosus lineatus ) stings.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by $imple
If I had a lionfish (which might be a possibility in the future), and it attacked me, resulting in me getting stung, I would release it into the ocean (2 min car ride, I'm too lazy to walk).
PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!

I cant stress the importance of NOT releasing hobby fish into the wild. Im fairly certin that the california water ways is NOT the natural habitat for this fish and releasing it into the wild can result in an enviormental inbalance. Thanks to such acts there are reports of lion fish up and down the east coast of the US. If you where not aware the costal atlantic is not the natural habitat of the lion.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Toirtis, Thats correct. Hot water will help with the pain factor.

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com