How's this HOB filter - Skilter 250? Other recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wetpetsusa/suprskandfis.html

Gonna hook it up to a 40g tank. Will be farming xenia and other corals maybe. Plan on 3 or 4 fish, crabs, snails, the usual. Plan on about 60 lbs of live rock. A couple of big pcs and small pcs for the xenia frags that'll come and go as I sell the xenia to my LFS.

This is rated for up to 55g. Had it on my 20g QT. Cleaned it w/bleach. No rubber or soft plastic pcs, so I'm thinking old copper will not be a problem.

So, will this filter do OK? For the size tank and the past copper use?

Alot of people here don't like the skilter. However, if you replace the cheesey air valve with one like the one that comes with most powerheads it works alot better. With 60lbs of lr I would only use it as a skimmer, not as a filter. I have one on my 46, works ok, have to keep a filter pad in it to keep the micro bubbles down but I get the stuff you cut up yourself . the only rubber part is the o ring that's on the pump it's self. mine leaked. Need to watch this if it's been stored for more than a few days.

I don't know anything first hand about SKilters but decided against one after reading about them on the wetwebmedia forum.

Midiman, got a link for that Wetwebmedia forum?

Gerald, i did replace that cheesy air valve.

Anybody got a food recommendation for a HOB for a 40g?

I think you would find that the Skilters get universally bad feedback from people that have tried just about any other protein skimmer on the market.

From looking at other posts, looks like the Aqua C Remora Pro w/ a mag 3 pump is the choice of seasoned aquarists.

From looking at other posts, looks like the Aqua C Remora Pro w/ a mag 3 pump is the choice of seasoned aquarists.

For HOBs, there is not much to complain about with that setup. For a 40, a regular Remora would work well and not have the eyesore of the Mag 3 in the tank.

I use a skilter 400 on my 40 gallon qt tank. Its OK but very noisy. It also doesn't skim all that well. Its OK for a qt tank but for long term use, I would try something else.

That does it. Going for the Aqua C Remora w/the Maxi-jet 1200.

Asking my LFS to order it for me. Better price that way.

Thanks all.

Guess I'm too late, but I've had good experience with a CPR bak-pak on a 40gallon breeder. seems to be just right. but you won't go wrong with a remora but it does cost more.

Nope, not too late. Gonna definitely check it out too. Just faxed the stuff for the Remora to my LFS buddy. Won't be ordering 'til tomorrow most likely.

won't go wrong with a remora but it does cost more.

That's got my attention! 8)

Got a used CPR backpak free. And the 240w MH. 'Bout to start cooking with gravy now (just now made that up :roll: )

Malkore, what pump do you recommend for it?

Nice! Can not complain about a free CPR skimmer :D

For a pump, go with a Maxi Jet 1200 with the venturi adapter that attaches to the impeller intake. You do not want to use the venturi that comes with the powerhead, the one you want looks like this:

turbokit.jpg

Pic is from http://www.premiumaquatics.com/, where you can put the powerhead and the venturi at a pretty good price.

For the price they are OK. I used one with my 20gal when I first started and it worked fine as a skimmer as well. I did do the air pump modification though. Shop around on line. I only paid $30 for mine and would not recommend paying much more. I use it for QT now. If money is not the issue I would step up to a PR unit or the remora, otherwise like I said for the price they are OK and can get the job done.

Here is a thread from when I first started that explains the modification.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14526&highlight=

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom