Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva View Post
What kind of filtration did you upgrade to?
An eshopps R200 fuge rated for 125-225 gal.
Also put an Aqua Eruro 200 cone skimmer rated for up to 200 gal.
All I had before was an undersized wet/dry sump.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you acclimate your corals with your new upgraded lightings? If not I would return the old lighting and follow acclimation with new lights. Skimmers and filter socks should be off when feeding.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Did you acclimate your corals with your new upgraded lightings? If not I would return the old lighting and follow acclimation with new lights. Skimmers and filter socks should be off when feeding.

I moved all corals to the bottom with the exception of the colt because it was under high lighting when I bought it. Other than that I didn't do much for acclimating. The zoas, button polyps, flower pot, and Ricordea were the only to show signs that they were unhappy, but acclimated within a week. The flower pot is still not looking well, but has slowly started coming back. Think I'm going to move that one down further. I also thought about putting screen over the tank to help...
Why turn skimmer when feeding?
Old lighting is gone. I sold it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your corals were obviously exposed to sudden high intensity lighting. A prolonged shock is the result they are dieing. The screen should have been done earlier. I turn off skimmer when feeding with pyto plankton just to minimize waste of lighter nutrients for corals.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Your corals were obviously exposed to sudden high intensity lighting. A prolonged shock is the result they are dieing. The screen should have been done earlier. I turn off skimmer when feeding with pyto plankton just to minimize waste of lighter nutrients for corals.
Sorry for the late reply.
Maybe I should be feeding phytoplankton. I think you're right about them being shocked by the intense lighting but that doesn't explain the coralline algae die off. I've still had no new growth and its been a couple months. My chaeto is doing great though..
My calcium level has been steady between 400-450. This has me stumped. I didn't have the problem until I upgraded the filtration. It makes sense to me that there is 0 to little excess nutrients in the tank. It seems there has to be some for the chaeto to thrive but maybe it's leaching out what ever is there.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

One cause of coraline algae die off is when you have an unstable water parameter. From what you have said your values are fluctuating and it is not good. You need to get a magnesium tester so you can regulate your calcium properly. They both go hand in hand and coral do consume them so you need to dose your tank regularly. Do you use ro/di for your salt mix and top off? LPS do require less lighting intensity unlike SPS. You only feed pythoplankton if you have filter feeder corals.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
One cause of coraline algae die off is when you have an unstable water parameter. From what you have said your values are fluctuating and it is not good. You need to get a magnesium tester so you can regulate your calcium properly. They both go hand in hand and coral do consume them so you need to dose your tank regularly. Do you use ro/di for your salt mix and top off? LPS do require less lighting intensity unlike SPS. You only feed pythoplankton if you have filter feeder corals.
Will start checking and dosing mag. As for the water, yes It's RO/DI and I buy water at my local LFS. My problem with the LPS and sps is that when I started this hobby i had a 29 bio cube and so much of my sps and LPS are on the same rocks and have grown around each other. I can't put the LPS lower in the water column and sps higher. I lowered everything as far down as I could and left it at that until the corals acclimated. Problem is, now the sps loves the light and LPS is very unhappy. I think I'm gonna have to separate them somehow. Frag it all out I guess... I do have filter feeders so I guess It wouldn't hurt to get some plankton.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your light has no intensity controller or dimmer a filter screen should work. You may have to compromise between the lps and sps lighting intensity until you can split them.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If your light has no intensity controller or dimmer a filter screen should work. You may have to compromise between the lps and sps lighting intensity until you can split them.
Sounds good. Getting the screen on today.

Tags
algae, die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com