Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

As cmor mentioned, that's the whole point of a QT. Ideally, you just put one fish in there for the 30 day quarantine period. If any disease shows up, you already have it isolated and can treat accordingly. Once the fish is showing no signs of illness, the 30 day clock starts again. 30 days problem free, then the fish goes in the main tank. If you introduce any new fish in the QT before that 30 day period, the clock starts over again.

If you put 2 fish in the QT, then both have to stay in during any treatment, even if the other one doesn't appear to have any issues. That's why it's usually better just to run one fish through at a time. It also insures you don't add fish to fast to your main.

Also, after treating a diseased fish, once the fish is either in your main tank or in fishie heaven, then you can totally empty the QT and clean it out and disinfect it. QTs are as much a part of good fishkeeping as water changes, in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Karegg
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of what to do if Ich breaks out in a main tank. Say 3-4 fish show signs of infection and the rest don't. I guess you'd just heat treat the whole tank. Will Ich never occur provided you always QT new purchases for a month?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ich parasite need fish in order to survive. If only some of the fish in a tank show signs of ich, ich is present in the tank. If you only treat some of the fish in a QT, the ich is still present in the main tank and will stay alive by feeding off the other fish that don't appear to have a problem. That is why the only real way to break the whole life cycle of the bugger is to remove all fish from the tank, treat all the fish, and let the tank go fishless. That way you kill all the ich on the fish, and all the ich in the tank.

Quarantining fish for a month will not guarantee a fish does not have ich, even if it shows no outward signs of it. But normally, within a month, if you have a diseased fish you'll see it. The stress from the new environment, new food, new everything... is usually enough to bring everything out in the open. It's really no different than us - if I get super stressed out, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting sick soon!

Also, you mentioned "heat treating" the tank. I'm thinking you're referring to the "heat the tank up to speed up the life cycle of the parasite" treatment. All that does, supposedly, is speed up the life cycle (metabolism) of the parasite - just as it does everything else in the tank. It doesn't kill it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never experienced an ICH problem before(Knock on fish tank) I just had a related question. Is there something that causes ICH to happen such as unstable water conditions or mishandling. How is the ICH parasite created in our tank-bred species. Can you have an ICH problem with a fish even if there have not been any recent introductions to the tank in a long while. Is it similar to getting a cold from a poor immune system. Will fish-vitamins and a good diet help the fishy immune system. Just kinda thinking out loud.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

In theory, ich shouldn't be present in tank-bred fish. But once a tank-bred fish hits your local fish store, most likely it's thrown in with all the other wild caught fish. Even if it's not, normally the tanks are all plumbed to a common water source. So much for a parasite free fish - assuming the original breeder takes care to keep their systems isolated from ich.

Ich can exist in a tank and if the fish are healthy, you may not ever notice a problem. Think I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that if you have a tank that has had no additions to it, and had no outbreaks of ich for 2 years, you can assume your tank is ich free. I'll try and track down that tidbit of info, so don't quote me on that... I'm going from memory here!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
Is there something that causes ICH to happen such as unstable water conditions or mishandling.
The unstable water conditions or mishandling will cause the fish stress thus making it more suseptible to ick. As far as the QT questions read this

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

In theory Ich (free swimming stage) can hitch a ride on a coral or anything that comes from a tank at the lfs. This is a very SMALL possibility, but it does exist.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com