Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Huge Sandstorm

So being the idiot that i am, i didn't really check into what would be the best way to add the sand. The LFS guy told me to put the bag in and cut it open. However, i wasn't thinking right and i didn't rinse it out before i put it in the tank.
It wasn't live sand that comes in a bag, it was live sand that they have in a huge tank.

Being the newbie that i am, i thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but unexpectedly i was a terrible sandstorm. I can't even see my liverock.

I did a 20% pwc and it barely helped. My concern is the fish. Two clowns, a goby, and a tang. I only see the clowns because they're used to swimming right next to the glass.
Will the fish be okay?
I turned off the powerheads, but not the return pump or the skimmer.

solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had this same problem. Id suggest washing sand no matter what others tell you. Every time you move something, the water gets cloudy. Seems the stuff also creates a lot of muck weeks down the road.

I dont know if its dangerous to your fish, but a large power filter may work to suck the stuff out of the water. Seems to me the skimmer would get over run? Might want to turn it off?

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had the same problem , you have to let it settle, give it a few days. i had a packet that helped clear it up that came with it. you are wasting the sand when you do PWC, gie it time IT will get better.
NeoCatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would run filter floss on the powerhead intakes and the filters. The fish should be ok.
AMDPhenomX4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com