Huge Sandstorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So being the idiot that i am, i didn't really check into what would be the best way to add the sand. The LFS guy told me to put the bag in and cut it open. However, i wasn't thinking right and i didn't rinse it out before i put it in the tank.
It wasn't live sand that comes in a bag, it was live sand that they have in a huge tank.

Being the newbie that i am, i thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but unexpectedly i was a terrible sandstorm. I can't even see my liverock.

I did a 20% pwc and it barely helped. My concern is the fish. Two clowns, a goby, and a tang. I only see the clowns because they're used to swimming right next to the glass.
Will the fish be okay?
I turned off the powerheads, but not the return pump or the skimmer.

I had this same problem. Id suggest washing sand no matter what others tell you. Every time you move something, the water gets cloudy. Seems the stuff also creates a lot of muck weeks down the road.

I dont know if its dangerous to your fish, but a large power filter may work to suck the stuff out of the water. Seems to me the skimmer would get over run? Might want to turn it off?

Matt

I had the same problem , you have to let it settle, give it a few days. i had a packet that helped clear it up that came with it. you are wasting the sand when you do PWC, gie it time IT will get better.

Back
Top Bottom