Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #51
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
HN1, my first tank was a 55, and it has seriously turned in to a "new tank every paycheck" hobby! I have bought a new tank every single paycheck since i moved out of my parents house 2 months ago, im up to 6 now... and like i said in my last post, may be getting another one tonight... i have to stop it somehow, its just so addicting. I cant wait until i no longer have to ask for advice from you guys and start actually putting good quality answers in on some of the questions these guys are asking... but like everything else, with time comes experience... i guess in a few years ill be like you and be able to help out people like me who are just starting out. luckily, i joined here and have learned SO much over the past week... you guys are great and i totally respect your opinions
LOL, been there, done that. Anytime I can help, I try. I still learn something new everyday too. Within 6 months of actually starting to keep things right, I had 20 tanks up and had a variety of FW fish and inverts breeding. Beware of Craigslist! lol

A bit of OCD is a good thing in the hobby since there are always new challenges to be sought out.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #52
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well, just now i got an email about yet another 55... i have a 1000 sq ft apartment, and id say probably half of it will be covered in aquariums... and im not even sure if were allowed to have them here lol... i am completely ocd about mine... i only have one that gets an occasional algea spot right behind the intake tube for the hob filter... not sure why... i have a fluval 405 and whisper 60... it should have plenty of filtration... youre lucky your wife enjoys aquariums, because my fiance absolutely HATES all of mine, but i set her up one with the horrid looking blue and pink gravel and ugly decorations from petsmart... but she has bala sharks and tin foil barbs in it... i finally convinced her to let me put pfs in it... im hoping to trade a few of my 55's for a 185 that i found that is AWESOME...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
well, i started to get one today, but its really just a tube with a faucet adapter that primes the hose then siphons right? if so, i can make one soooo much cheaper (i think)... im trying to do this aquarium thing with as little money as possible... today i spent the most money on aquarium stuff that i ever have... i bought a nice 450 watt heater... i got tired of constantly having to plug and unplug my "preset" heaters, so i got one that keeps it steady... that set me back $30... i also got a new 55 which cost me a whopping $15 and made the guy throw in the hob filter i saw in his garage... i may even splurge and spend another $25 on a 46gal bowfront here in a few... oh and i spent $5 on a tube of sealent and resealed that 55(just in case) ... im a firm believer in craigslist
look for a water bed flush and fill valve at the hardware store. it's the same valve the python uses. then all you need is some clear vinyl 1/2" i.d. tubing (at the hardware store too) i'd use the thin walled and some hose repair ends (go figure they're at the hardware store too). you probably already have the gravel vac thing right? i just put a hose end on mine to attach to the tubing. if it is one of those self starting types you will have to remove that little flap on the inside. i made my 40' python for a little more than half of what the 25' commercial python cost. cant remember exactly how much but it was less than 20 bucks.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #54
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

oh wow, definately going to do that then... i have a 60' roll of 1/2" id clear tubing up in the barn, my grandfather had it left over from his hog watering setup... i just remembered about that ... guess ill be making a trip to ace hardware tomorrow
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
oh wow, definately going to do that then... i have a 60' roll of 1/2" id clear tubing up in the barn, my grandfather had it left over from his hog watering setup... i just remembered about that ... guess ill be making a trip to ace hardware tomorrow
I love DIY !

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #56
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i hate the smell of silicone though!!! i just resealed my new tank to make sure it doesnt leak and wow... i had to have my head down in it to get the bead perfect and i thought i was going to die... sometimes you do a diy project and wish you had either had a pro do it or bought it depending on the circumstances
Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

who doesnt love diy?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #58
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well it didnt bother me that much until i had to stick my head in the aquarium... then i got a bad headache and just started thinking of how nice it will look when its all set up, then i was ok lol
Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

lolz i hate headaches
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #60
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep, me too... 4 excedrines did the trick though, should have listened to the label though, it advised to use latex gloves when using it, i just used my bare finger, now its raw... oh well... im off to bed, gotta long day tomorrow, see you all later

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com