huh??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if i ever get around to building a house, im going to have a nice big room for my fish tanks, and of course, have a nice big sink for water changes... i guess those pythons are nice, somebody had recommended one on here, i just really hate to spend so much money on tubing and a hookup, when i can probably build my own cheap... if i ever get around to it, ill have to take step by step pictures for you all...

Yea, I got a python and for FW it's great (other than it doesn't mix in dechlorniator..) I wanted to get an extension hose but it was like 25 bucks! I just went to HD and got some tubing and a connector and I was good to go.

The idea is simple enough. If anything, I like it for the faucet pump thing.

well im not going to get in to that battle... personally, i fee like "old" people can make the same mistakes as "young" people, its all about experience. everybody makes mistakes when they start out, i sure have...

I completely agree, which is why i would perfer to be on the old peoples side when it comes to the experience and knowledge.

Ok, s

But i will give you this, Young/more energy=stupid decisions/less experience, Older/less energy=smart decisions/more experience.

I think they just don't have the energy to make stupid decisions LOL!

well im not going to get in to that battle... personally, i fee like "old" people can make the same mistakes as "young" people, its all about experience. everybody makes mistakes when they start out, i sure have...

I completely agree, which is why i would perfer to be on the old peoples side when it comes to the experience and knowledge.

Ok, so here is a start of what i was kinda talking about. A sample if you will. It is gonna take me a while to draw up the rest on the computer.
57755870.png

MFD for the win! Age has very little bearing on anything. It's about attitude, experience, willingness to learn etc. I started with 5 koi in a 3G tank... :crazyeyes: I know several teenagers from forums that absolutely know more than I do and are very exacting about everything. I try to learn from them every chance I get. Likewise, I know plenty that refuse to listen because (like we all did) they know everything at 17 and have a tough time with being patient or open to other ideas. Seen the same stuff on both sides from 60 year olds too though.

well, i started to get one today, but its really just a tube with a faucet adapter that primes the hose then siphons right? if so, i can make one soooo much cheaper (i think)... im trying to do this aquarium thing with as little money as possible... today i spent the most money on aquarium stuff that i ever have... i bought a nice 450 watt heater... i got tired of constantly having to plug and unplug my "preset" heaters, so i got one that keeps it steady... that set me back $30... i also got a new 55 which cost me a whopping $15 and made the guy throw in the hob filter i saw in his garage... i may even splurge and spend another $25 on a 46gal bowfront here in a few... oh and i spent $5 on a tube of sealent and resealed that 55(just in case) ... im a firm believer in craigslist

MFD for the win! Age has very little bearing on anything. It's about attitude, experience, willingness to learn etc. I started with 5 koi in a 3G tank... :crazyeyes: I know several teenagers from forums that absolutely know more than I do and are very exacting about everything. I try to learn from them every chance I get. Likewise, I know plenty that refuse to listen because (like we all did) they know everything at 17 and have a tough time with being patient or open to other ideas. Seen the same stuff on both sides from 60 year olds too though.

HN1, my first tank was a 55, and it has seriously turned in to a "new tank every paycheck" hobby! I have bought a new tank every single paycheck since i moved out of my parents house 2 months ago, im up to 6 now... and like i said in my last post, may be getting another one tonight... i have to stop it somehow, its just so addicting. I cant wait until i no longer have to ask for advice from you guys and start actually putting good quality answers in on some of the questions these guys are asking... but like everything else, with time comes experience... i guess in a few years ill be like you and be able to help out people like me who are just starting out. luckily, i joined here and have learned SO much over the past week... you guys are great and i totally respect your opinions

xD I'll draw my idea out tonight. (It's gonna be on MS paint probably so prepare for horrible drawing.)

haha, im looking forward to it... i can just imagine now what its going to look like, paint NEVER works out right for anything except bordom lol and just so you know, microsoft is a curse word to me... i absolutely HATE anything windows... OS X all the way :)

haha, im looking forward to it... i can just imagine now what its going to look like, paint NEVER works out right for anything except bordom lol and just so you know, microsoft is a curse word to me... i absolutely HATE anything windows... OS X all the way :)

HAHA I almost got kicked off the computers for the rest of the year for playing with MS paint in the computer lab.. guess being bored is against the rules :bowl:

I too hate Microsoft, Only the company not so much the product (windows aint that great though) And I have nothing against Bill Gates, He's not a genius but he's not satin.

HN1, my first tank was a 55, and it has seriously turned in to a "new tank every paycheck" hobby! I have bought a new tank every single paycheck since i moved out of my parents house 2 months ago, im up to 6 now... and like i said in my last post, may be getting another one tonight... i have to stop it somehow, its just so addicting. I cant wait until i no longer have to ask for advice from you guys and start actually putting good quality answers in on some of the questions these guys are asking... but like everything else, with time comes experience... i guess in a few years ill be like you and be able to help out people like me who are just starting out. luckily, i joined here and have learned SO much over the past week... you guys are great and i totally respect your opinions

LOL, been there, done that. Anytime I can help, I try. I still learn something new everyday too. Within 6 months of actually starting to keep things right, I had 20 tanks up and had a variety of FW fish and inverts breeding. Beware of Craigslist! lol

A bit of OCD is a good thing in the hobby since there are always new challenges to be sought out.

well, just now i got an email about yet another 55... i have a 1000 sq ft apartment, and id say probably half of it will be covered in aquariums... and im not even sure if were allowed to have them here lol... i am completely ocd about mine... i only have one that gets an occasional algea spot right behind the intake tube for the hob filter... not sure why... i have a fluval 405 and whisper 60... it should have plenty of filtration... youre lucky your wife enjoys aquariums, because my fiance absolutely HATES all of mine, but i set her up one with the horrid looking blue and pink gravel and ugly decorations from petsmart... but she has bala sharks and tin foil barbs in it... i finally convinced her to let me put pfs in it... im hoping to trade a few of my 55's for a 185 that i found that is AWESOME...

well, i started to get one today, but its really just a tube with a faucet adapter that primes the hose then siphons right? if so, i can make one soooo much cheaper (i think)... im trying to do this aquarium thing with as little money as possible... today i spent the most money on aquarium stuff that i ever have... i bought a nice 450 watt heater... i got tired of constantly having to plug and unplug my "preset" heaters, so i got one that keeps it steady... that set me back $30... i also got a new 55 which cost me a whopping $15 and made the guy throw in the hob filter i saw in his garage... i may even splurge and spend another $25 on a 46gal bowfront here in a few... oh and i spent $5 on a tube of sealent and resealed that 55(just in case) ... im a firm believer in craigslist

look for a water bed flush and fill valve at the hardware store. it's the same valve the python uses. then all you need is some clear vinyl 1/2" i.d. tubing (at the hardware store too) i'd use the thin walled and some hose repair ends (go figure they're at the hardware store too). you probably already have the gravel vac thing right? i just put a hose end on mine to attach to the tubing. if it is one of those self starting types you will have to remove that little flap on the inside. i made my 40' python for a little more than half of what the 25' commercial python cost. cant remember exactly how much but it was less than 20 bucks.

oh wow, definately going to do that then... i have a 60' roll of 1/2" id clear tubing up in the barn, my grandfather had it left over from his hog watering setup... i just remembered about that :)... guess ill be making a trip to ace hardware tomorrow

oh wow, definately going to do that then... i have a 60' roll of 1/2" id clear tubing up in the barn, my grandfather had it left over from his hog watering setup... i just remembered about that :)... guess ill be making a trip to ace hardware tomorrow

I love DIY :D!

i hate the smell of silicone though!!! i just resealed my new tank to make sure it doesnt leak and wow... i had to have my head down in it to get the bead perfect and i thought i was going to die... sometimes you do a diy project and wish you had either had a pro do it or bought it depending on the circumstances :)

well it didnt bother me that much until i had to stick my head in the aquarium... then i got a bad headache and just started thinking of how nice it will look when its all set up, then i was ok lol

yep, me too... 4 excedrines did the trick though, should have listened to the label though, it advised to use latex gloves when using it, i just used my bare finger, now its raw... oh well... im off to bed, gotta long day tomorrow, see you all later

Back
Top Bottom