Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Humidity

What's the best range to keep your humidity in a basement full of fish tanks?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

When you say best humidity, best for what exactly are you referring to?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The less humid the basement, the more evap you will see. Just watch for mold on surfaces in the basement.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is no ideal ambient humidity as far as what is good for your tanks..... As Mr_X said, the only thing you'll notice is that if your humidity is low, you will use more top-off water since the drier air will pull more water from your tanks.
Now, if you've got a basement literally "full" of fish tanks, that will generate a lot of humidity.... anything above 70% for an extended period of time will likely generate mold in your house. But, again, that would take a LOT of fish tanks to maintain that kind of humidity. If that's what your question's pertaining to, and you're concerned about it, get yourself a digital hygrometer (these are what I keep in my cigar humidors) to monitor your humidity. If it is above 70%, you'll probably want to consider some type of dehumidification.
Caliber IV Digital Hygrometer Thermometer Item 1132 | eBay
Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

We advise our clients (I am a finish carpenter, and general contractor) to never let their basements get anywhere near 70rh, and prefer under 50rh. At 70, mold isn't likely, it's guaranteed. It can also greatly increase the deterioration rate of your home when your humidity is this high. Tanks in a subter setting should have space between them and the walls or other surfaces, and good, fresh airflow is also an extremely good idea to help the health of the home and it's occupants

Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a kair heat recovery extractor fan in my fish house. Perfect humidity controller. Absolutely excellent piece of behind the scenes equipment. Environmentally friendly low running cost unit but initially not cheap. Well, I don't think it was cheap! You may be loaded!

All you need is one big (relative to the room) uncovered tank with a different ambient temp to get wet walls. Circulation/extraction is the key.
Im not a carpenter but I do build things. (General/decorating)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would suggest a small fan in the basement window changing out air 24/7 if you are having problems like noticeable mold. You can buy a fan cheap from home depot. I used a 6" in line booster fan and built a mount for it out of plywood. If you use a dehumidifier, you will be spinning wheels, meaning as you pull out the humidity in the room, you'll be putting that much more water in the top off, then pulling it out of the room, then adding again, and so on and so on....
Replacing the air was the only thing that seemed to work for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mr X makes a great suggestion, bringing in make up air can be a great help. Also, he is dead on about the dehumidifier, that's just a never ending circle of evap / collect. Fresh air is key

Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I fired up my new dehumidifier . The panel said it was at 80.. After one night I have been holding at 50.. I read 2 things . Let me know what you guys think... I read that opening a door or bringing air in.. Will be a never ending battle with new humidity... And second.. I read that dehumidifier water is pure 0 tds... Can you just put that right back into the sump??
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Humidity fan, benefits.

The key thing you missed is heat recovery.

Yes it takes the humidity out protecting the building. A circle I'm happy to run, I'm always changing water anyway so it's no extra task. What it also does is take the heat from the extracted air and warm the fresh air from the outside cutting down on heating costs. The fan only operates when humidity reaches a certain level so I can find a happy balance. It runs full time circulation with an over run which is set by humidity control or manual over ride while continually re heating fresh air. Perfect as most of the year where I am air temp is below my tank temp.

What you are doing using a regular fan is dumping hot moist air out the window then paying to heat your tanks which must be refilled anyway as the moisture laden air has been sucked out. That's a circle I'd prefer not to run. Water is cheaper than electricity by a mile, if you prefer to dump heat and water that's your choice. As you've no control over humidity loss you lose more water because you can't control it. While the walls will be drier so will the air.

Sorry where did I go wrong?

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com