Humu Humu Picasso Trigger - Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a Humu Humu trigger a week ago. From anybody's experience of having one of these fish, what did you feed them and what do they love to eat?

I currently feed my entire tank alternating per day of Hikari Mega Marine Angel frozen food (very meaty mix), Hikari Mysis Shrimp, Hikari Spirulina, and fresh crab raw meat from the grocery store. My Hardwicke Wrasse really likes the crab meat - humu humu doesnt seem to mind too.

Just trying to find whats best for this unique fish.

They have to have something hard to eat. These fish have basically a beak that never stops growing. If they aren't able to have it wear down naturally on something like clams on the half shell or shrimp with the shell, the beak will grow together and the fish will be unable to eat and die.

They have to have something hard to eat. These fish have basically a beak that never stops growing. If they aren't able to have it wear down naturally on something like clams on the half shell or shrimp with the shell, the beak will grow together and the fish will be unable to eat and die.

Thanks.. my confusion or lack of knowledge is how it eats. Does it eat the actual shell of a clam? That seems insane because its so hard and my humu is only a few inches - small one now. I saw on youtube them eating full uncooked unpeeled shrimp and crabs and lobster with shell still on it and freeze dried krill

The beak is always growing so it can break through shells. The hard outer carapace on what it eats wears that beak down, which is why it evolved to continuously grow. Without the food to wear down the beak it fuses together and won't be able open its mouth and starve.

The beak is always growing so it can break through shells. The hard outer carapace on what it eats wears that beak down, which is why it evolved to continuously grow. Without the food to wear down the beak it fuses together and won't be able open its mouth and starve.

I’ve experimented with different foods. I put shrimp in and it leaves the shells...just eats around it. I put a clam in and it doesn’t touch it, should I open it a bit? Got freeze dried krill too, seen a YouTube video that it likes them. About to try that

There will be shells left over, they aren't edible. Break the clams open so they can eat them on the half shell. The only importance of the shells is to wear on that beak.

Back
Top Bottom