humu humu trigger and a small puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-tastic Aq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I like the way the humu's look and i have seen smaller puffers , look like dog faces but much smaller 3-4 inches in lengh i want to start a new tank just for the 2 fishes what would you say would be a safe size for the two of them , unless of course they do not and will not get along...there was also a clown trigger i liked as well .
if that is a better choice
in any case the puffer is a for certainand the clown trigger is also in consideration if the humu's get to large

Since both fish will get to be 12" in length (the puffer might get larger), I would recommend no less than a 125g tank. I think they will get along fine, the puffer is toxic, so the trigger shouldn't nip at it, and if the trigger is about the same size as the puffer, I don't think ou will have a problem with the puffer trying to eat the trigger ;) Both are messy eaters and will require good filtration.

wow kevin you are really on top of things .......
thanks again for your input on all my questions

Rick

125 though
maybe just the puffer

75 is more in the budget but i am waiting on a buddy to decide to sell a 125 with all equiptment for 400.00 .
to me that is the deal of the century
but if it dont pan out i have to start from scratch

humu humu triggers are very mean and grow very large. Triggers may as well be the meanest of sw fish. I saw a really big undulate trigger in a tank with a shark. Puffers on the other hand are the largest things. Especially porc puffers and dogface puffers. These fish can probably fit in a 100-250 gallon tank with only these two fish in it. I would reconsider your options.

hmm
im a patient guy so i'll wait for a deal on a 125 or larger for that Puffer .
the trigger is probably out
thanks for the input ,
i want the fish and i also want them to have a good safe home ,
well at least the best i can provide other than the ocean itself

I have kept both a huma huma and clown with a sharpnose puffer (canthigaster sp.) And to be honest it was funny but the triggers actually protected the puffer, however the two triggers would get up set with each other every once in a while.

Just to let you know about sizes

a sharpnose puffer will get around 5 inches max.

Huma Huma or Picasso Triggerfish will get 9.8 inches max.

Clown Triggerfish gets 19.9 inches max. Few reach that, but 15 inches is common.

really the personality of the fish is what makes it mean. Triggers do tend to be more on the aggressive side, puffers can hold their own with them.

I agree with gymnothorax, puffers definitely hold their own. But if you are just starting out I would try a bluejaw, they are very good in community tanks. Very passive.

Back
Top Bottom