Hungry Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitrate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several small short spined urchins that hitchiked in my LR. I noticed the other day that one was missing and later spotted spines laying all around my long tentacled anemone. Will an anemone eat an urchin? If so will he be ok?

i have never heard of anything like this, when urchins die they do lose all their spines and shell. I wouldn't be all that suprised if an anenome could do that i am always suprised by things that do stuff in my tank that i would have never guessed they could do.

If the anemone got a grip on the urchin or the urchin "fell into" the anemone, the affected area's would likely loose their spines. I found my blue tuxedo in the mouth of my ritteri one early AM (before coffee 8O) and once fished out had lost all the spines over ½ it's body. It eventually recovered but that's not always the case. Be sure there are plenty of grazing algaes available.

Cheers
Steve

I guess I can see that because I had the exact same thing happen except with a blue legged hermit. I still don't know if it got eaten or what. After the anemone closed on it I couldn't see if it got away or what.

Back
Top Bottom