Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
Hurrican Rita

Hurrican Rita is approaching my coast! Windows are to be boarded. My house is in the Category 4 Evacuation Zone. Im leaving but sinceim a "essential employee" i have to man the fort at our Univision Radio station studios. Family is off to a big hotel up north. Kind of glad that i have no fish in my new tank yet. How will the live rock do with a few days of no power or light? Wish me luck!

Old 09-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you will have a little die off, but nothing that cannot be overcome. Stay safe.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, to put your mind at ease, most liverock sits on docks for days in the sun while in transit from the ocean to your LFS and plenty of goodies survive. Look out for yourself and the tank will be fine when you get home.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Rita is now a Cat. 5 with 165 mph winds. Good luck Gulf Coast!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

When Ivan got us a year ago, it was the Temp that did most of the damage. Lost all but One fish, and we were not able to get back in to my place at Orange Beach for 6 days. Then 3 weeks before power was back on. Good luck and God Bless you all in the days to come.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
thanks for the support. this hurrican is a monster. 3rd largest in US history. Katrina has nothing to Rita. i assume that it will get larger and stronger. My house is located on the edge of the 100 yr Flood zone and in the Cat 4 -5 evacuation zone. Gotta get out by 6 AM. got a hotel room thursday thru sunday. the house is boarded up. its all i can do.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You work for Univision, huh! Our prayers are with you.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelochas
thanks for the support. this hurrican is a monster. 3rd largest in US history. Katrina has nothing to Rita. i assume that it will get larger and stronger. My house is located on the edge of the 100 yr Flood zone and in the Cat 4 -5 evacuation zone. Gotta get out by 6 AM. got a hotel room thursday thru sunday. the house is boarded up. its all i can do.
I wish you the best. Take care of yourself and i hope your house makes it.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
"Hurricane Rita's rapid intensification cycle that began Tuesday afternoon continues. Top winds are up to 175 mph, now a category 5 hurricane. Rita's pressure has dramatically dropped to 897 millibars! Even as a large and extremely intense category 5 hurricane, further strengthening is possible as the atmosphere remains favorable for development over the next 24 hours. "

-weather.com
Old 09-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelochas
I do wish you and everyone where Rita hits, good luck

I'd never compair storms.. unless they hit the same areas....

They compaired Ivan to Katrina, many people are on both sides of the fence... and over all most believe Ivan was worse... it was just the area hit... Orange Beach to Pensacola was not under sea level, but still managed to get the 25+ storm surge and the 20-30 foot waves.

Katrina's rain finally put enough strain on the levee's that broke them... and then flooded the city... *sad to say everyone was waiting for this*

And now Rita and Texas.... looks like the carrabean is seeing you their special marga'rita'

But seriously... good luck and stay safe... get some extra gas, water, and caned goods....

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com