Hurricane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

03shee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As you probably know thier is a hurricane headed for florida, which is me. I have 2 battery pumps just in case, but have any of you ever have this happen to you? Going thru a hurricane with no power. which means no lights, AC, etc. I just worried that if the power goes out, the tank is going to get pretty warm. so i was going to put ice in a ziploc bag and just put it directly in the tank. would this be a problem, maybe? how long can coral, diff types of polyps, anenomies, go without light? i don't have the $ to get a generator!!!
Thanks and hopefully it goes north!!!!!

No problem. Clearly this has alot of people worried. A heavily stocked tank will suffer the most from a power outage where as a lightly stocked tank will have the best success at comming thru a power outage with little problems. Corals can go probably a few days with out high output light. Also your tank will probably get some ambient light unless you have the tank in a inside room with no windows. Heat is a concern but whats more of a concern is temperature fluxuations. If you wrap your tank in blankets when the power goes out then the tank will lose heat slower and therefor the heat differences between day and night will be less.

The battery air pumps are good because it will provide at the very least a small amount of water movment. This water movement will aid in the oxgenation of the water. Also if you can every half hour or so scoop water up and pour back into the tank so your putting some oxygen into the water. Should you find fish dieing on you try to remove them asap so as they wont further polute the water.

Hopefully if you do lose power it will only be for a short time, a few hours to a day. A prolonged outage, 3+ days, will have a big impact on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom