hurricane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Who's watching the hurricane? I know I am! Can't believe it's already started. anyway, was wondering if the power goes out...how hot can the house be before the chiller goes out (I have a generater, just not for the air conditioner) It's been so hot here lately and my chiller says that the outside temp can't be too hot or it will automatically shut down (doesn't give a number). I have a 1/4 hp pacific coast chiller and tank size and what not is in my signature.

Sorry you're having to go through this Alex. I hope all is well and it doesn't hit to hard.

I just heard that Dennis was upgraded to a Cat. 4. I'm so sorry for all those who live on the panhandle. If there is anything I can do (I live in North-Central FL) please let me know.

150 mph sustained winds 8O ... it's gonna be a BAD one! I live about 1 hour south of Brodie, same thing here anyone needs anything let us know!!!

Take a couple of milk jugs, fill them with ro/di water, (3/4 filled only) and put them in your freezer while you still have power. As the temperature rises, you can break apart the carton, break apart your ro/di "ice cube", and occasionally throw pieces into the tank if you are seeing the temp get too high.

Since you have a sandbed, dissolved Oxygen is going to be very important. You can take a bucket of water from the tank and periodically pour it back in fairly splashily to help with this. Better yet, get one of those battery powered air pumps. You can get them at some LFS's or many bait shops also sell them for fisherman to keep their bait, and subsequently their fish alive longer.

Good luck

good idea Mantis ..... would it be easier though to fill some ice trays with the ro/di ... once you break apart the jug you are left with a pretty good size chunk!!!!

Walmart also sells those bubblers and they are cheaper than any LFS! Usually they are in the fishing section!

Hello. I am also in Florida. I was thinking about using big blocks of ice in the sump to keep my tank cool in case of th power outage. I also have a generator, but I do not have a chiller. I have already started freezing cups of water to use (similar to what bars use in pitchers of beer!).

Back
Top Bottom