Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The sad fact is that Pensacola still hasnt recovered from Ivan from Sept. 2004

If this proves to be as bad as Ivan I cant imagine what it will be like.

/sigh

Old 07-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

As of 11:00 pm Thursday, July 7th, Hurricane Dennis is a category 4 hurricane with maximum wins of 135 mph.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to spongeynip
Hurricanes might seem fun for me since my dad is such a hurricane freak. He bought a $25,000 generator to run the house and sandbags the property line and it looks just like a bunker! But the problem is that all my friends come over and constantly mess with the fish tank... I can't tell you how many times the clownfish had spasms...

But since we live in St. Petersburg where the flooding is horrible, were in the first flood zone, so its kinda funny to watch water gush through holes in a 5' high sandbag wall (we live on the water).

But if you want to revise that Gainsville party, it'll be better to have cooler people at my house
Old 07-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a bad feeling that it's gonna change it's course at the last minute. I know I know, they say they are sure of the path....but central florida was a magnet last year! My prayers are for everybody in Florida! This season's gonna be a big one!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How bad was Ivan? I heard a bridge was torn down somewhere, was that around you?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck to all of you and your tanks!

BTW...that map you had was too far south for me . I would be just above the cutoff in Wisconsin on that map. I think we'll be ok.

I'll let you guys know when we get our first double digit snowfall. Should be any day now .
Old 07-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

i sure am glad i live in California. Sure we have a few earth quakes here and there, but its wayyyy better then being underwater and having random crap go flying through the air. What would happen if you were outside in that 135mph wind and jumped off the ground ? fly 30 feet in the direction of the wind ? lol sorry. My best wishes are with you guys.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ivan was a category 5 (max winds of 167mph) when it entered the Gulf of Mexico, but decreased to a cat 3 when it made landfall.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeherd2306
Ivan was a category 5 (max winds of 167mph) when it entered the Gulf of Mexico, but decreased to a cat 3 when it made landfall.
Your right, Ivan was a Cat3 when the eye made land fall... unfortunately, where a majority of the damage occurred was the 6+ hours of cat4 winds.

There was a weather station by my house (within 1 mile) that had 145mph winds and gusts of over 165 for a good 3-4 hours.

Ivan was a terrible hurricane, I have been through many of them... Lived in Homestead FL during Andrew, and countless other hurricanes in various pats of FL. Ivan made me revisit my strategy of packing in for them. Of course during Ivan, we had a 1 week old baby to deal with.

My motto is Cat3 or higher, time to leave... nothing is worth the 4-7 hours to evacuate...

BTW if you want to see some photos of Ivan's aftermath http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/...alleries.shtml

One picture to show you how bad it actually was... . Nothing like 140+mph winds coming at high tide, with a storm surge of an estimated 15-25foot, then add the waves... enough to take the Interstate 10 bridge and throw sections around.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Well, Dennis is certainly starting to affect Florida. Winds are starting to really pick up and the weather is turning dark...and we're not even in the direct path of it. Good luck Floridians!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com