Hurricane Dennis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
here we go again...

wish us luck if the prediction holds true...

Goodluck to anyone else that has found their way in the hurricanes path.

btw... the little red "X" is me :cry:

So many tropical storms and hurricanes already and its only the beginning of July!

I have a feeling hurricane season is going to be alot worse this year than last year.

evacuate?!? Don't you just love the hurricanes, the thrill of losing power for a long time, and trying to keep your sanity? j/k :lol:

Looks like a bad season again. Stupid hurricanes! :x

Yup another lovely season, it seems like just yesterday we were dealing with last years storms!

I'm moving to Montana!!!!

I'll take the snow anyday over flying debris crashing through my window, Trees on my new car, and no power with swealtering heat for 7 days!!!!!!!!! You might loose power during a blizzard but at least you won't be HOT 8O !!!!!!!

I'm not really moving to Montana! just kiddin around! :lol:

The sad fact is that Pensacola still hasnt recovered from Ivan from Sept. 2004

If this proves to be as bad as Ivan I cant imagine what it will be like.

/sigh

As of 11:00 pm Thursday, July 7th, Hurricane Dennis is a category 4 hurricane with maximum wins of 135 mph.

Hurricanes might seem fun for me since my dad is such a hurricane freak. He bought a $25,000 generator to run the house and sandbags the property line and it looks just like a bunker! But the problem is that all my friends come over and constantly mess with the fish tank... I can't tell you how many times the clownfish had spasms...

But since we live in St. Petersburg where the flooding is horrible, were in the first flood zone, so its kinda funny to watch water gush through holes in a 5' high sandbag wall (we live on the water).

But if you want to revise that Gainsville party, it'll be better to have cooler people at my house

I have a bad feeling that it's gonna change it's course at the last minute. I know I know, they say they are sure of the path....but central florida was a magnet last year! My prayers are for everybody in Florida! This season's gonna be a big one!

Good luck to all of you and your tanks!

BTW...that map you had was too far south for me :lol: . I would be just above the cutoff in Wisconsin on that map. I think we'll be ok.

I'll let you guys know when we get our first double digit snowfall. Should be any day now :lol: .

i sure am glad i live in California. Sure we have a few earth quakes here and there, but its wayyyy better then being underwater and having random crap go flying through the air. What would happen if you were outside in that 135mph wind and jumped off the ground ? fly 30 feet in the direction of the wind ? lol sorry. My best wishes are with you guys.

Ivan was a category 5 (max winds of 167mph) when it entered the Gulf of Mexico, but decreased to a cat 3 when it made landfall.

Blazeherd2306 said:
Ivan was a category 5 (max winds of 167mph) when it entered the Gulf of Mexico, but decreased to a cat 3 when it made landfall.

Your right, Ivan was a Cat3 when the eye made land fall... unfortunately, where a majority of the damage occurred was the 6+ hours of cat4 winds.

There was a weather station by my house (within 1 mile) that had 145mph winds and gusts of over 165 for a good 3-4 hours.

Ivan was a terrible hurricane, I have been through many of them... Lived in Homestead FL during Andrew, and countless other hurricanes in various pats of FL. Ivan made me revisit my strategy of packing in for them. Of course during Ivan, we had a 1 week old baby to deal with.

My motto is Cat3 or higher, time to leave... nothing is worth the 4-7 hours to evacuate...

BTW if you want to see some photos of Ivan's aftermath http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/guides/hurricane/galleries.shtml

One picture to show you how bad it actually was...
photo4.jpg
. Nothing like 140+mph winds coming at high tide, with a storm surge of an estimated 15-25foot, then add the waves... enough to take the Interstate 10 bridge and throw sections around.

Well, Dennis is certainly starting to affect Florida. Winds are starting to really pick up and the weather is turning dark...and we're not even in the direct path of it. Good luck Floridians!

Back
Top Bottom