hurricane help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
help! my tank has been decimated by hurricane frances! everything is dead. things i didn't know i had are dead. came back today to find the power still out and an awful smell. obviously i had no computer to ask you guys where to begin, so here's what i've done so far... drained water and removed all dead fish and coral. there were too many snails, crabs, and bristle worms to get them all. then i removed all my semi-live rock and a little sand and put into rubbermaid with fresh sw and a pump and hooked up to neighbors generator. most of the sand is still in the tank, what should i do with it? there are so many little victims still in it?and by the way the power is still out! there were however a few worms still alive that i tried to rescue and put in with the rock. what should i do next?

OMG, so sorry. :(
Maybe drain the rest of the water, replenish with fresh mix and see of you can get another PH hooked up and running in you tank. See who you can salvage.
You may still have a biological filter of some sort and can save more critters and your sand.
Once again....so sorry.

Sorry to hear it. Glad all the humans pulled through
Hopfully you will be up and running again in the near future.

well, just found out no power until saturday at the earliest! i called my favorite lfs and he said to save the sand in something because it can be washed and reused. i've got to empty tank completely because it really stinks! i don't think i'm going to set it back up right away, this gives me an excuse to revamp a few things that were logistically a nightmare with livestock. thanks for all the kind words.

That's aweful! I was without power for 3 days. My tank isn't running with water yet though. After all this, my wife says we need a generator to keep the fish tank running should something like this happen again. Of course, if you had to evacuate, the generator wouldn't have prevented this.

sorry to hear about your reef. i live in jacksonville and was without power for 3 days. i have lost 50% of reef.

Back
Top Bottom