Hurricane Sandy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gas Generator

Not in it's path, but that would solve a lot of problems so long as you had enough gas.

Generator standing by... Also extra mixed saltwater and some battery operated air pumps, gotta keep the fridge going also.

All I'm getting up here in Canada is the rain! Don't foresee any power outages here. But no backup plan as of yet. Have been looking for som battery operated air pumps and such but haven't come across any yet.:) convict you DEFINATLY need a generator for that tank. Lol

I'm working out a small army of battery operated air pumps. I have a generator coming, but not until mid-November unfortunately. Good luck all!

Anyone looking for battery operated pumps be sure to check out the bait shops and sporting good stores where they sell fishing tackle. They are the same thing used on minnow buckets to help keep bait alive.

I have a generator that runs off our gas line. So it can stay on as long as we're still getting gas. It's built in to the ground.

How long can a 55 gallon fowlr. About 8 fish go without surface agitation ? If I lose power my 2 koralia 1400 and wet dry lose power. I just thought of this. What if scenario. I'm new to the hobby but loving it and have awesome fish !

Things will begin to go at the 4 or 5 hour mark. The easy solution is what I did, $15 battery powered air pumps. They have them in the fishing dept at Walmart, but you're going to need 2 D cell batteries to run each one. (And you will need about 3 or 4 for a 55g) Another option is to get a pitcher and just fill it up with tank water and pour it back in. This will have to be repeated regularly though and will cut into your sleep time.

Good luck!

DC/AC power inverter. 80 watts runs my sump pump, small light fixture, skimmer and one power head!

I got a 425watt one for my heater but that's If I go more than 24 hrs

Doing my last min water changes now. The storm that hit over this summer in July left me with out power for 7 days. I don't expect this to be any better. Diffrence this time I need the generator to pump the sump pump for the HOUSE :( so can't run my tanks with it.

Anyways good luck folks.

Battery powered air pump and power inverter. I've the longest I lost power was when I had a tank (freshwater) at home in Charlotte, NC while I was in college in Raleigh, NC (hurricane Hugo). I think the house was down for a week and I didn't lose anything. My parents were watching the tank and I had them pour water into the pitcher and then back into the tank every so often. Since I've lived in Virginia, we lost power for 3 days during hurricane Isabelle (no losses in a VERY lightly stocked tank). Then just for a couple hours in the house we moved into in 2005 during storms.

What I'm worried about this go round is the temp. It was 100+ degrees in my house over the summer. My tanks downstairs stayed around 75 degrees. It's dropping into the 40's at night. You can only add so much got water. And even then you run risks of shocking them.

Aski247 said:
What I'm worried about this go round is the temp. It was 100+ degrees in my house over the summer. My tanks downstairs stayed around 75 degrees. It's dropping into the 40's at night. You can only add so much got water. And even then you run risks of shocking them.

Im in the same boat with temp some one on here told me to wrap tanks in foil and blankets. Makes like installations

Shocker 2 winters ago I was with out power for 5 days... What I did was buy 4 cases of boot Warner's from SAM's club. I would pop about 10 of them wrap them in wash cloth and put into a ziplock. They would stay smoking hot for about 4 hours. So by the time they would burn out I would give the hot water heater time to heat up again.(it's gas).

Aski247 said:
Shocker 2 winters ago I was with out power for 5 days... What I did was buy 4 cases of boot Warner's from SAM's club. I would pop about 10 of them wrap them in wash cloth and put into a ziplock. They would stay smoking hot for about 4 hours. So by the time they would burn out I would give the hot water heater time to heat up again.(it's gas).

That's a great idea!!

Back
Top Bottom