Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Hurricane Season in Florida

I'm starting to get my supplies in order for the hurricane season. Last year, my city got hit by two..power was out for 3 days. luckily, my tank was broken down for an overhaul. What sort of supplies should I be looking at in order to keep my tank alive if our power goes out again? Yes, generators would be nice, but I'm a poor college student, so that's kind of out of the question.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
zacdl

Well if you have an old battery backup there are DIY battery backups that you hook up to car batteries....
Old 06-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should have some battery-powered air pumps. That's what got me through a 5-day power loss due to hurricane Isabel. I cut down drastically on feeding, since the filter was not working, but the pump kept the water moving. It definitely used up some batteries, though.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats what I used for mine last year. We had 3 of em come threw here I beleive. Then I got an inverter and hooked it up to the car and used it for a heater and the filter. What paln do you have for keeping the tank cool when the air conditioner goes out? That was an issue for my friends tank. Are you fish only or do you have a reef?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

We had three come through here too. For my tanks I just used battery-operated air pumps. I still haven't had to replace the batteries.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need at least a 400w convertor to hook up to the car. This will run a heater, and a small PH..
Old 06-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You might consider a generator. I think there is a Pep Boys down there? I bought a 3500 watt generator for $299. They are used a lot for RV's and such. It has a decent gas tank(4 gal) and was a lot cheaper than the Home Depot eqivalent. We don't lose power a lot, but I hope to be ready

I figure mine is big enough to run my tanks, supplimental lighting and maybe even a fridge
Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

dang.. i read your title and others posts, thinking this was my thread. LOL just now realized its not.. But im gonna try the battery operated air pump, the one for fishing areator is what i need?

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yep

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just bought a generator, I lost one fish last year after the last Hurricane. Not going through that again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com