hurricane watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in central florida watching to see if and when this hurricane is gonna hit. I called my lfs and they are getting in some battery powered air pumps tommorrow. If, worse case senerio, my power is out 24hr's or more, is this going to be enough for everything to survive? I have corals too...and I am expecting a shipment from garf of some more frags on friday 8O . I don't have a generater. Any thoughts?

Hey Good luck for the Hurricane. There are two of them coming you know? I live in South Carolina and they are both heading up here and Florida will probably get hit tomrrow or friday by the one in the Gulf. My lfs has those battery powered air pumps too. They turn on after the power goes off and aren't that big. You might need to get a couple depending on how big your tank is. They look pretty good. I'm gonna get two probably tomorrow. They are a lot cheaper than a generator :lol: . Good luck.

I have a thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter on my car, it has a couple outlets so this way I can just run a long extension cord to my car if power is out for an extended period of time. I guess it would burn some gas but better than loosing my coral/fish 8O Then I can run pumps/heaters/etc... anything I need to run.

Yeah...thought that bonnie was still a T.S. It will have a huge impact none the less I'm sure. My sister lives in S.C. as well, around the greenville area. You getting ready for it?

heaters, whew, don't know what to do about that...hope the temp holds. Where did you find that cigerette lighter thing, maybe that would be a better investment?

clowninround said:
heaters, whew, don't know what to do about that...hope the temp holds. Where did you find that cigerette lighter thing, maybe that would be a better investment?

Wal-mart sells them, I think it was around $30 or so?

BTW, hope it misses all you guys and everyone is safe!!

thought that bonnie was still a T.S

Clyde (yes I know it's charlie, but it ought to be named clyde, so that's what I'm calling it), is the one that's going to kick our butts! Already a hurricane and is expected to skirt the west coast of FL.

They're called power inverters. Can find them at Circuit City or any electronics place. Various sizes, but not sure how the bigger ones may relate to any additional drain on your car battery. They are neat. I used one recently on a road trip to run the TY and video games for the kids. Fan cooled too.

Thanks everybody...I got the battery pack today and a friend has a power inverter I can borrow. Getting the 2 D batterys the air pump needed was another story. I spent an hour and half looking for those babies. The stores here are a mad house!

Well im going to use my APC from this computer for one small power head then hope all goes well with the power. As of right now hope a lot of us favor well :D

God bless and if worse comes to worse you can at least agtitate the water and provide some O2.

Yeah, I'm in Tampa and we are expected to get nailed by Charlie from 4pm till 4am. 8O
If the power goes out (which I'm sure it will for at least a day), I have enough LR for filtration. And I think the temp will be okay. I keep it at 81F, so it shouldn't swing too much from that with the air conditioner off.
I plan on bubbling the water with my mouth and a straw for some O2 in there. lol

All you other FL peeps. Good luck and be safe!

WOW! Winds are up to 145mph, and it's about to hit you guys down there. Don't under estimate Charley! I should see Charley some time tomorrow...Good luck to all and keep safe!!

Pack in a safe area like sardines if you have to!

:invasion:

Back
Top Bottom