Hurt by corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ella_e

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to be stupid and move things around in my tank. First I cut my thumb on the torch coral's rock, and then I touched my zoas.
Then I realized they secrete a toxin.
My thumb is a bit swollen and numb. Should I be worried? Or am I convincing my brain that I am hurt?
And on a scale of 1-10, are zoas really that toxic?

I decided to be stupid and move things around in my tank. First I cut my thumb on the torch coral's rock, and then I touched my zoas.
Then I realized they secrete a toxin.
My thumb is a bit swollen and numb. Should I be worried? Or am I convincing my brain that I am hurt?
And on a scale of 1-10, are zoas really that toxic?
I think your fine. To get hurt by the toxin the zoas first have to secrete it which is rare, just touching them usually is harmless. They do however contain one of the most potent toxins known to man called palytoxin

What would cause them to secrete it?

I just got them, so I bothered them quite a bit today.

What would cause them to secrete it?

I just got them, so I bothered them quite a bit today.

Its a defense mechanism so excessive touching and handling causes them to release it. Some species of zoas are more toxic than others.

Thank you. I guess I will go bother the hospital staff.

Well, being a freshy, I don't know much about coral. And this just answered a question I had, do corals hurt humans if they touch them? Answer is YES! And quite badly apparently. I hope and pray all goes well.

The hospital staff said that I was lucky because had it been a more serious poisoning, I would have died quickly. Apparently the symptoms include high heart rate, asmtha-like symptoms, and death quickly after!
I recommend gloves and BE CAREFUL WITH ZOAS EVERYONE!!!!

Yeah, this is some serious stuff and nothing to take lightly. It depends on how your body deals with the toxin that you've been exposed to. Definitely invest in some gloves that extend to your upper arms.

There are all kinds of crazy bacterias and toxins lurking in your reef tank. A cut could lead to a nasty infection, and if not treated quickly, could cost you a finger, hand, forearm, or worse.

I'd rather be overly cautious and have nothing happen, than the opposite.

My hands never go in the tank without gloves, and nothing comes out without safety glasses on, since many corals can (and do) squirt....

I just purchased some very long vet gloves.

No one ever speaks of these things! I knew that corals can sting, but secrete one of the most toxic substance known to people? That was a surprise.
My whole arm is swollen and has little sensation!
Lucky compared to how one can die from this!

thanks for answering everyone!
Are there any other safety precautions I should take into account?

In a book by Anthony Calfo he writes about wiping fragging tools on a cloth after fragging Zoas and then inadvertently wiping his face after a clam squirts him and getting poisoned that way. Gotta be careful many different ways. Hope you recover fast.

You ended up getting pretty lucky. Anytime I have any cuts or anything on my hand/arm I have my GF do all the work in the tank. Along with palytoxins the mucus that most corals coat themselves with when disturbed is one of the most bacteria infested things on the planet so take caution when ever handling your corals and be sure to wash your hands and face afterwards.

That is surely true. Even when diving, we don't recommend touching anything as there are so many things that can sting. I think that virtually all the corals we keep in the fish trade won't burn you, but zoas are not to be fooled with. I think you would need to ingest the toxin to be fatal, but working in the reef with a cut is a bad idea without gloves. I rarely wear gloves as the slime coat on the corals isn't as damaged by a ungloved hand that can be more delicate. But I also wash them afterwards.

That is surely true. Even when diving, we don't recommend touching anything as there are so many things that can sting. I think that virtually all the corals we keep in the fish trade won't burn you, but zoas are not to be fooled with. I think you would need to ingest the toxin to be fatal, but working in the reef with a cut is a bad idea without gloves. I rarely wear gloves as the slime coat on the corals isn't as damaged by a ungloved hand that can be more delicate. But I also wash them afterwards.

Yes i recenty fragged a colony of radioactive dragoneye zoas no gloves my fingers broke out in a rash of tiny white bumps lasted about a week the the dragoneyes are one to watch did not happen with the watermelons that i fragged the week before them so its hit and miss with zoas so take precaution cause you never know

Back
Top Bottom