Hydnopora Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Its a beautiful piece, 10"x 6" for $170. I was naturally told by the LFS that this is a steal. Would anyone concur or is this the going price? (Hydnophora)

Seems like a pretty decent price. I bought a frag for $20, 4 years ago. Now that frag is about the size you describe, it's a pretty fast grower, in the right conditions.
Any stony coral that big is going to be around that price, if not more.
Here's a pic of mine. :)

View attachment 96896

Taken about 6 months ago.

Ok thanks. I'm glad to know I didn't get ripped as usual. The salesperson seemed to know what he was talking about when he said it appeared to be a 4-5 year old piece. Thanks again

Good luck with it crabs!! They are really cool looking, bright, bright green!
Although it looks like a SPS, I believe it's a LPS, because of the polyp expansion. Not 100% sure, but I think it is.
Again, best of luck with your tank!

Thanks. One other question about this coral. When I bought it the polyps weren't extended and now 2 days later they still haven't made their appearance. I have bright lighting as well as good flow. Should I be concerned? The color of the exoskeleton is a brilliant green and looks very healthy as far as I know. But what do I know?

Crabs said:
Thanks. One other question about this coral. When I bought it the polyps weren't extended and now 2 days later they still haven't made their appearance. I have bright lighting as well as good flow. Should I be concerned? The color of the exoskeleton is a brilliant green and looks very healthy as far as I know. But what do I know?

It may take a bit for it to acclimate to your tank, also too much flow may keep the polyps from extending very far. As long as the green is there, it should be OK. I'm actually having trouble with mine ATM. It's been receding from the bottom up for awhile now, trying to find the cause. See on the pic how the whole front is not green anymore.
Thinking about fragging everything that is still good off of it, could probably get about 10-12 nice frags. I don't want to, but I don't want to lose the whole thing either. :-(

Thartsockpg said:
@Flreefer, what is the coral on the left of the picture. It looks great.

Thanks, that a Red Montipora Cap. That grows really well in my tank! Just below it is Green Monti., camera makes it look white though.
Here's a better pic of it, will be trading this one in very soon, its over-topping my Chalice , no room for it, and I've got a couple more. All came from 1 $20 frag about 3 years ago.

View attachment 97308

Red Montipora

That's understandable. It's a shame when u had it this long. U gotta do what u gotta do. I'll give it a while longer before I adjust the flow on mine. I was going to frag my piece in half when I first purchased it. Figured it would make my tank look more balanced by doing this. I changed my mind when the salesperson looked at me in horror after I told my son this plan. Ha ha. I guess it was a bad idea because it looks just fine. Hope all works out for urs in the end. Your advice is appreciated once again

Back
Top Bottom