Hydrogen peroxide Equals Dead algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any one have any insight on using hydrogen peroxide to rid hair algae?

i have heard of this before but wanted to know if any one has ever gave this an attempt.

From my understanding you dont dose with it, but meary remove the LR that the Hair algae is on and apply it directly to the algae it self. then step two is to then scrub it off with fresh RODI water and place back in tank.

I really dont know much about it except I heard a few say it does not work. All I can give you. Sorry.

it works for bba in a fw planted tank... not sure about a sw tank. actually, im not really sure how that would work with keeping the live rock 'live'. i'd be afraid of it killing off the bacteria on the rock. not much help i guess though ?

yea, i was thinking the same thing drookie.. i only asked because i was in my LFS and heard a guy talking to another co worker about it.. I have had some horrible experiences at this LFS so i dont trust anything they say...LOL

i might take a small piece of live rock out and see if it works.. i been battling this never ending hair algae on 2 parts of my tank. Grrr..

i have never heard of this working the only way i heard is to treat your tank sry not too much help.

won't you need to find the cause anyway, or it'll just keep coming back?

You need to find the cause and end it. Ill bet you its one (or a combo) of various things.
1)Over feeding
2)Bad lighting/too much lighting
3)bad PWC habits
4)Bad water

How much do you feed your fish? What do you feed them? How often?

How old are your bulbs? What kind of bulbs? How long are they on? Is sunlight, room light, able to get into your tank?

When do you do PWC and how much?

Using RO/DI water for top offs and PWCs?

The hair algae needs nutrients and light to grow. If you cut them both back, the hair will die. How high are your phosphates and nitrates? Since I cant avoid phosphates due to feeding, I run GFO and am starting up some chaeto to take over once the GFO needs replacing. My water is much clearer and I have much less algae in it now.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom