Hydroids hlelp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COLCORAL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any luck getting rid of hydroids. I had some hitchhike on a rock with some blue shrooms. Now they are spreading in my tank.

Hydroids generally spread when there are excess nutrients in the tank. How are your parameters? Are you sure they are not Aiptasia?
Welcome to AA.
:wave:

My parameters are good calcium 450, Alk 3.54 or KH 9.9, Phosphates less than .1, Nitrate 0, PH 8.4 Salinity 1.024 They came on some rock with some blue mushrooms I got about a month ago. They have just started to spread. I do 10% water changes every other week and monitor levels weekly. I'm sure they are not aiptasia. I have nuked a few of those with Kalk. Here's a pic.

I've used kalk to nuke some I got on some rock also. After a couple days the only thing left were little clear tubes....then they were gone. They haven't been back since. I'd do just a little a day so as not to use too much kalk. HTH

Fireman

Hey thanks, I'll give that a try. I used some on Aips before but not hydroids. Did you use a syringe or a turky baster?

How did it go? I have one small patch of Hydroids that have not spread since I noticed it a few months back. But I would like to be ready just in case.

I kalked them twice. I mixed up 1 tsp of kalk with 1/4 cup water and squirted them generously with a syringe with my powerheads off. Nothing. I was able to take one rock out and scrape them off. I am still tying to find another way to treat them. I read once to take some kind of putty and put on them until they die and peel it off. Have you heard of any other ways to get rid of them. I only have one small spot on a rock I can't remove, but I sure don't want it to spread.

Back
Top Bottom