hydrometer reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1.020 is fine, it is on the low end of the "acceptable range" (about 1.020-1.024), but some like to keep it higher for their reefs like up to 1.023, that is where mine it at right now.
but the main thing is: if you want to get it higher you must do so veeerry gradually, like over a couple of days because a sudden change in specific gravity can really stress the fish out.

well then it is not as big a deal but you still want to take it a little slower, meaning not just dumping a bunch of salt in, maybe only boosting it .001 over an hour or so, and eventually bringing it up to 1.022, which is good.

I run mine at 1.024 but your fine for now, just next water change raise it up a little.

Also what brand of hydrometer do you have? I have the Coralife Deep Six that I checked against the LFS refractometer. Although a hydrometer is not very accurate, they are consistent on their readings. In their water the refractometer read 1.024 where my hydrometer read 1.0215. So now that is what I shoot for. The guy at LFS said most hydrometers read a little low. I would get yours checked against a refractometer. Then you know what SG your water is without paying the price of the refractometer.

Stephen

In their water the refractometer read 1.024 where my hydrometer read 1.0215

That was about my experience when I got a refractometer. My hydrometer was .004 low so when I thought my tank was at 1.023 it was really at 1.027. Hmmmm. For the price of a refractometer I wouldn't use a hydrometer, personally. It stands to reason that over time, if the hydrometer weren't kept completely salt free it would begin to accumulate very slowly a filmy layer at a time and the hydrometer would actually start reading lower and lower (but this is just a hypothesis). I wouldn't trust them as far as I could... well I wouldn't trust them even that much, lol!

If I was going to use a hydrometer I would err on the low side because I've never heard a case of them reading higher than a refractometer and most people who've commented say that their hydrometer was .004 low.

Back
Top Bottom