Hypo new fish in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two new fish in QT (since Saturday). One is a purple pseudochromis and the other is a Blue Hippo Tang. Neither appears to have any problems (yet), but I'm wondering if giving them a hyposalinity treatment while in QT is good thing or not.

Thoughts?

I would hold off until you see any symptoms. Observation should be fine for now.

I agree, there is no point if you don't see any signs of illness.

Thanks for the responses.
Having to tear down my 125 a year and a half ago due to an Ich outbreak I'm paranoid about introducing that little parasite again. I've only added inverts, corals and a replacement mandarin since that episode. My thinking was that healthy fish don't usually show signs of Ich until they are stressed although they still are harboring it, especially the hippo tang. Doing hypo as a prophylaxis was my thought.

I agree with the others. Dont treat till you are sure of a problem. Simple observation will suffice for now.

i thought that ich was always in the water (not introduced) and only stress/ temp change caused it to grow on the fish. maybe thats only true for freshwater?

I do not believe that all systems contain ich. I believe it is introduced by ading an already infected animal. But that is debateable, others will have their opinions....

I am of same opinion as Scott. I believe my tank was Ich free after my last infestation. I had to tear down the tank to catch all the fish, but that did give the opportunity to re-aquascape <g>. Since then however I have not always qt'd all corals for a month before putting them in the main tank. There is a chance (slight) that I might have introduced the parasite that way. There are not signs of it, but can we every really be sure. Now that I'm introducing a hippo tang I want to take every precaution that I don't also introduce Cryptocaryon irritans again.

Back
Top Bottom