Hyposalinity help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alco1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

A while ago I got white ick... all fish are in quarantine.

At the moment I have a powder blue, vlamingi and a hippo tang. Hippo is the only one with signs of ick.

Over the last week I've brought down the salinity to 1.007... it's now stable and been sitting at 1.007 for the the past 36 hours.

When do you start to see the ick dying off? I haven't seen an improvement on my hippo.

Am i being a little impatient or is there something I' missing?

Ohh the salinity test is done by a refractrometer.... and this is my first time doing hyposalinity

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

U "see" icky gone but they never died and tang are very vulnerable to ick :/

So they've been in hyposalinity for an entire week now? Just checking, but you used a freshly recalibrated refractometer to measure correct?

The ich should have started dropping off by now, but give it another week before worrying about a lack of change.

U "see" icky gone but they never died and tang are very vulnerable to ick :/

What?

Yea so theyve been in quarantine for about 1 week... originally the water was at 1.025 and ive bought down the salinity over the course of that week down to 1.007 and has been that way for the past 36 hours.... in other words... for 5 days I was bringing down the salinity and the pass 2 days its sitting in hyposalinity stage... sounds like im getting impatient... maybe in a few days I might see an improvement

Ahh I understand now. Yeah, it will take a little while for you to see a change. It can take a week or so for the parasites to drop off of the fish and they have to heal after that.

Actually use levamisole. Works very good in reefs, I'm writing anarticle about that this week.

Back
Top Bottom