Hyposalinity Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after dropping my salinity down to 1.009, now there is detectable ammonia (0.25). What shall I do to lower it or should I just let the biofiltration take care of it? Should I also feed less because their metabolisms arent as fast any more?

I would feed lightly, and siphon all uneaten food out. In addition water changes will help to lower the ammonia. You may have to do daily changes depending on the bioload. Is this in a qt tank?

Unfortunately, no. I read that it is possible to perform hyposalinity in the main display tank if there are no inverts so I went ahead and did it. My tank has 70lbs of base rock and 10lbs of "Live Rock" which isnt very live if you catch my drift.

Will .25 ammonia hurt my fishes?

Over time it would. I would do daily water changes until you are able to get it down.

Could it be faulty readings? I've read that lower salinity will result in some tests not being as accurate

luntiz said:
Could it be faulty readings? I've read that lower salinity will result in some tests not being as accurate
Could be but ammonia kits are generally affected by pH not salinity so be sure you are keeping an eye on that as well. Keep in mind that since you are performing hypo in the main, there will be alot of critter die off so some ammonia is too be expected. Especially if any/all LR was emoved first.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom