I adopted a Queen Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Boyfriend brought home a seven inch queen trigger and at first glance is a health and flawless fish. The local fish store gave it to us for free because we are frequent customers. They had her for four months and the fish is almost completely blind and only able to see light (if you shine a flash light on her). You have to tap her nose to get her attention so you can hand feed her and she has an excellent appetite. The LFS said her blindness may be due to an ammonia spike. Has anyone ever heard of a fish recovering sight from this? We aquired her because we are the only people with the time and dedication to care for her (you practically have to stick half you body in the tank to feed her sometimes). We love her but were wondering if anyone heard of fish healing from this type of blindness.

Well I don't know about the blindness but if you get a feeding stick..it'll help you from having to put half your body into the tank! :wink:

I have feeding tongs now and I still get wet.
Do you think I should avoid anemonies? She runs into everything and I was wondering if you think she'll remember where they are or if she'll continue to sting herself.

Xenos said:
I have feeding tongs now and I still get wet.
Do you think I should avoid anemonies? She runs into everything and I was wondering if you think she'll remember where they are or if she'll continue to sting herself.

I would them for that reason as well as numerous other including they are virtually always die in captivity

Well, the queen has come down with Crypto. She was gasping for air and I thought I might lose her. I've recently read that it can lead to irreversable blindness...which makes me wonder.... Anyways I've did a freshwater dip yesterday (7 minutes and I don't recommend it for everyone) and she is in my 29 hospital tank with copper and malachite green, daily water changes. Its been 36 hours and she is swimming up right and eating again. So if anyone else was wondering about her, I guess she's blind forever but improving. :p

Any updates on the fish, is it doing better or still blind? I would love to have a queen trigger but just don't have a large enough tank for one.

We have discovered that she can identify light and dark and she can memorize where the tank walls are, so we are trying to train her to eat out of a bowl. So far so good. we used a heavy ceramic bowl and put sinking pellets, squide, shrimp, and baby clams in it. She also gets Basa fish every now and again as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom