I am experiencing different forms of Algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI, I'm in month 2 of my 35g salt water mini-reef aquarium and I am experiencing different forms of Algae.

Most recently are these "bubble" looking types of growth on my rocks. Most of my algae is this grass type that the hermit crabs seam too eat.

Should I be concerned over these bubble type trees?

I attached a photo of what I am refering too.

Thank you for your review...

:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 111
I can't tell what that is from the pic. There is an algae called bubble algae (Valonia ventricosa) that is a pain to get rid of and will "pop" up all over the tank. What I am seeing the your pic does not look like bubble algae. I'm not sure what it is but having any form of algae growing in excess in your tank means there is some kind of nutrient issue going on.

Algae needs light and fuel to grow. Check your water parameters and see what you have going on. Doing frequent PWCs will help reduce excess nutrients in the system and hinder the growth of algae.

If you can get a better picture of the bubble you are talking about we may be able to give a better answer.

I just googles Valonia ventricosa and that's NOT what's in my tank. It looks more like a "cone" or a swirl growing up from out of the rock.

Do you think I need more hermit crabs, snails or something else? Clearly they cleaning crew is not keeping up right?

Boergesenia forbesii is my best guess from what I just looked at. Thanks for that link Mike.

I am assuming your tank is fairly new? What are you feeding your fish, how often? What kind of lighting do you have on your tank?

All of the above are factors in how fast algae grows in the reef tank. Adjusting them will help you keep them under control. With a fully mature tank you will want 1 cleaner per gallon of water and I usually kept closer to 1.5 per gallon (I know you can't have half a hermit or snail but you get the idea). Your CUC will be added to through out the life of your system so adding cleaners is not a bad thing but you have to have the system to support them.

Do some water tests and give us the results. There could be other options for you rather than adding snails or hermits.

the sargassum looks really nice though...maybe that is new padina you have growing there? hard to tell when they sprout...

Be careful, when you have large amounts of algae, your levels always test fine, but remember that the algae is consuming a large amount of nitrates and phosphates. Be sure to do frequent PWC's after you weed it all out to make sure anything left behind doesn't have the fuel to grow back.

i had that problem to.....changed my light bulbs and it cleared right up......i guess every year they should be changed.

oohhh......thats all i really could think of....i dont have a reef tank.....but when all else fails try a water change......beutiful tank though.

Back
Top Bottom