Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The one that really made me mad is a 6 gallon tank for a kid with no way to do mantinance beside a one inch hole for feeding and stocked it with a rainbow shark, a bala shark, a feather fin catfish, and six guppies! not to mention the fact that three of the fish grow bigger than the tank! These people are complete idiots and should be taken off air.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Watched the new Fish Tank Kings where they rented a tank for an ad agency. Finally heard it on the air: Francis the biologist shouted "we can't do it because its bad for the fish!" They of course did it anyway, but he tried.
I think that a lot of that is drama for tv. I'm all for doing what is good for fish, but if it had been a rental, putting a couple dozen damsels in a big tank for a few hours is not necessarily "good" for the fish, but its probably not any worse than when they are shipped a couple times from whoever collected them to the wholesaler and then to a LFS. Ammonia levels would not be bad that quick.

I'm always more worried about how both of these shows fully stock these tanks all at once for the reveals. Seems like even in a cycled tank, that is a huge increase to bioload.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

I think that a lot of that is drama for tv. I'm all for doing what is good for fish, but if it had been a rental, putting a couple dozen damsels in a big tank for a few hours is not necessarily "good" for the fish, but its probably not any worse than when they are shipped a couple times from whoever collected them to the wholesaler and then to a LFS. Ammonia levels would not be bad that quick.

I'm always more worried about how both of these shows fully stock these tanks all at once for the reveals. Seems like even in a cycled tank, that is a huge increase to bioload.
I agree. At least it wasn't a tank full of tangs. Francis had it right choosing damsels.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I agree. At least it wasn't a tank full of tangs. Francis had it right choosing damsels.
I would have been more worried if it was anything but damsels or clowns. I bet that they were fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post

I would have been more worried if it was anything but damsels or clowns. I bet that they were fine.
I bet the damsels were just fine. They are pretty bullet proof. It was nice to see a sensible stocking happen. the "Tanked" guys would have filled the tank with box fish.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Francis, their biologist, is quite smart. But they constantly abuse him on the show and seem uninterested in his opinions. I would prefer a show with just Francis. Both shows concentrate on selling rubber corals. Uuggh.
its on tv its just for entertainment, ATM took alot of heat from hobbiests and apparently they can only do so much in so little time for the producers of the show.

who knows if all their tanks are done like this but i would assume they all aren't some just have to be in order to keep the viewer happy
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post

its on tv its just for entertainment, ATM took alot of heat from hobbiests and apparently they can only do so much in so little time for the producers of the show.

who knows if all their tanks are done like this but i would assume they all aren't some just have to be in order to keep the viewer happy
I am amazed, both shows show customers complaining about there nasty algae covered coral inserts, to just go out and buy another multi-thousand dollar coral insert. What a racket.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in Vegas. I can say ATM does have its own set of issues. Extreme prices, poor customer relations, but man, they make some beautiful tanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Roger that. Nobodies perfect.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
I live in Vegas. I can say ATM does have its own set of issues. Extreme prices, poor customer relations, but man, they make some beautiful tanks.
I could see the customer service being an issue. They're probably too busy making TV and doing the gigantic and/or elaborate builds for the show.

I should have videotaped my build on my saltwater tank, then cut it together to show people what is really involved.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com