I am over Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked the outdoor Koi ponds with the big acrylic windows and also the pure scale of the one they did for the Church.

Almost all of their saltwater tanks are purely for show and to grab people's attention. In sure that most of the businesses that purchase those tanks look at it as promotional and know nothing about the fish that are being put inside. I'm also guessing that they just hook up with a LFS for maintenance.

ATM probably does dozens of tanks for people that add their own stuff. I think it would be interesting for them to do a show or two that showcases what some of their customers come up with after just the tank is installed.

To think that they're just dropping sharks and rays in an uncycled tank makes me cringe. Thats pretty sad because those are all likely to be wild caught.

I would think the tank was expensive to build and having some knowledge of the budgets most cable shows spend per episode, I doubt they got any deals. How does a doughnut shop afford this? Dunkin Doghnuts didn't pay for it did they?

The owner of the franchise owns more than one location, I think he has 10 locations if I remember correctly, he lives in Jupiter on the water and he has the money to pay for it.

Really nice guy, Dunkin is huge in south Florida, btw he was running a 3.99 special for a dozen doughnuts when I stopped by, I thought it was funny because I thought to myself he is trying to pay for that tank and at 10:45 am on a monday they were crowded.

I have heard a lot of numbers thrown around about much it was, no one really knows.

Probably swaying off the topic here; just visited the Melbourne Aquarium. Really dissapointed. Was expecting to see massive nature and reef aquariums full of plants / coral. Instead all i saw was plastic ones. NOT NICE MAN.

Probably swaying off the topic here; just visited the Melbourne Aquarium. Really dissapointed. Was expecting to see massive nature and reef aquariums full of plants / coral. Instead all i saw was plastic ones. NOT NICE MAN.

You should go to the aquarium in Chattanooga TN. It is beautiful. It probably has a lot of plastic choral. I have been there and it is nice. Especially since they have fresh and saltwater. They are in two desperate buildings. I have only been once and I really want to go back.

I think the guys from Living Color, I think that is their name, (The people from Tanked) built an insert for them. They put it in an octopus aquarium.

I guess I should qualify my statement, you don't see many living reefs in comparison to all the tanks you find with artificial coral inserts. Went to a couple of aquariums on the west coast last year and loved it, but of course I was looking for big reefs and was a bit surprised that major aquariums don't have as many live coral displays as I would expect.

I guess I should qualify my statement, you don't see many living reefs in comparison to all the tanks you find with artificial coral inserts. Went to a couple of aquariums on the west coast last year and loved it, but of course I was looking for big reefs and was a bit surprised that major aquariums don't have as many live coral displays as I would expect.

Greg have you been to the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco? If not I think you would enjoy it next time you're out this way. They have a massive reef of the Phillipine Sea with quite the giant clam collection. My wife rather likes that one too seeing as she is from there lol.

My wife took pics there last week, I will get one and post it. We go a lot cuz we have a membership. My 3 yr old boy loves the indoor rainforest

*Sorry to get thread off topic!

We have some pretty good aquariums here at the Omaha zoo. A tunnel that the roof and sides are a HUGE shark tank. We have a stringray petting zoo (employees work it). There's a reef tank that you can from above onto. The huge cylinder jellyfish tank is awesome. Then there's numerous huge reef tanks throughout.

My wife took pics there last week, I will get one and post it. We go a lot cuz we have a membership. My 3 yr old boy loves the indoor rainforest

*Sorry to get thread off topic!

It is kind of on topic because the issue with Tanked is the disappointment with how cool a show it could have been for us aquarium nerds. But that's the problem, there aren't enough of us to pay for the production of a major cable show. It needs to corral people that care less about fish. For instance, the Church Tank should have been 3 episodes. Who cares about the pinball tank. But a few of them were worth watching the engineering it took to build them.

So what we need is enough capitol and a "know the business" of promoting a pilot episode insider who can translate our love for the hobby to a channel like The Learning Channel or Discovery, etc. Then all us fish nerds could be content that our hobby could be a worthwhile, entertaining, educational, and ethical television program that could do what Tanked does do (in the sense of creating non hobbyists interest in the world of aquaria) while remaining true to what is right and good for the livestock and habitats we care for. All until some producer decided we needed fake drama and time shortened builds & pranks lol!

Hey guys I found this little blog someone wrote about the show. I am not going to say the blogger is write or wrong on the specific tanks he mentioned, but just look at the comment left by someone claiming to be Phillip Dominguez, a rep for ATM, or so he says. Just read his comment it should be the first one.

The person leaving the comment was a total d***. He even insulted the blogger personally.

http://lasvegasbadger.blogspot.com/2012/06/tv-show-tanked-not-all-its-cracked-up.html?m=1

Oh boy, some of the comments from other people on that post make my skin crawl. Attacking the poster for 'hating' when they clearly know nothing about aquariums. How can they attack at something they know zero about? :(

Oh boy, some of the comments from other people on that post make my skin crawl. Attacking the poster for 'hating' when they clearly know nothing about aquariums. How can they attack at something they know zero about? :(

I agree man. It is pretty sad. It is just like uninformed people talking about politics.

Back
Top Bottom