I am over Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched an episode with a 600 gal tank. Wanna guess the stock?

35 koi!!!

My ten year old watches this show and the fish tank kings one, he loves them. He loves the tanks they build and the fish they show. He hasn't quite figured out that most of what they do isn't practical for routine maintenance and definitely hasn't learned the fish side of it. Although there was one episode he was watching I heard him say "woaaahhhh that's COOL but I wonder how they take care of it!?" Hehehe I think he likes the "flashiness" of the tanks more than anything. It's good entertainment for my 10 year old at least!

Hey guys I found this little blog someone wrote about the show. I am not going to say the blogger is write or wrong on the specific tanks he mentioned, but just look at the comment left by someone claiming to be Phillip Dominguez, a rep for ATM, or so he says. Just read his comment it should be the first one.

The person leaving the comment was a total d***. He even insulted the blogger personally.

http://lasvegasbadger.blogspot.com/2012/06/tv-show-tanked-not-all-its-cracked-up.html?m=1

No proof that was actually someone who worked for ATM could be trolling

I watch the show with my wife, and occasionally my oldest daughter. My wife and I see it as more of entertainment (not even "edu-tainment"), and my daughter likes the colorful displays.

That being said, my daughter knows about proper stocking in her tank (and the other 3 in the house), and what it takes to get a tanks started up that won't kill fish in 2 weeks.

I just wish they had a Mythbusters type of self-censorship at the beginning of each episode.."Don't try this at home".

Watched the new Fish Tank Kings where they rented a tank for an ad agency. Finally heard it on the air: Francis the biologist shouted "we can't do it because its bad for the fish!" They of course did it anyway, but he tried.

Watched the new Fish Tank Kings where they rented a tank for an ad agency. Finally heard it on the air: Francis the biologist shouted "we can't do it because its bad for the fish!" They of course did it anyway, but he tried.

Isn't that show on National Geographic? I'm surprised they would do something like that.

Wait...I'm not...viewers = advertising $$.

I still will pen a letter to NG about it though.

Isn't that show on National Geographic? I'm surprised they would do something like that.

Wait...I'm not...viewers = advertising $$.

I still will pen a letter to NG about it though.

In the end, the people wanted to keep the tank, so it worked out. But I don't think the customer really wanted to rent it. It was probably all for tv.

The one that really made me mad is a 6 gallon tank for a kid with no way to do mantinance beside a one inch hole for feeding and stocked it with a rainbow shark, a bala shark, a feather fin catfish, and six guppies!:banghead: not to mention the fact that three of the fish grow bigger than the tank! These people are complete idiots and should be taken off air.

I think that a lot of that is drama for tv. I'm all for doing what is good for fish, but if it had been a rental, putting a couple dozen damsels in a big tank for a few hours is not necessarily "good" for the fish, but its probably not any worse than when they are shipped a couple times from whoever collected them to the wholesaler and then to a LFS. Ammonia levels would not be bad that quick.

I'm always more worried about how both of these shows fully stock these tanks all at once for the reveals. Seems like even in a cycled tank, that is a huge increase to bioload.

I think that a lot of that is drama for tv. I'm all for doing what is good for fish, but if it had been a rental, putting a couple dozen damsels in a big tank for a few hours is not necessarily "good" for the fish, but its probably not any worse than when they are shipped a couple times from whoever collected them to the wholesaler and then to a LFS. Ammonia levels would not be bad that quick.

I'm always more worried about how both of these shows fully stock these tanks all at once for the reveals. Seems like even in a cycled tank, that is a huge increase to bioload.

I agree. At least it wasn't a tank full of tangs. Francis had it right choosing damsels.

I would have been more worried if it was anything but damsels or clowns. I bet that they were fine.

I bet the damsels were just fine. They are pretty bullet proof. It was nice to see a sensible stocking happen. the "Tanked" guys would have filled the tank with box fish.

Francis, their biologist, is quite smart. But they constantly abuse him on the show and seem uninterested in his opinions. I would prefer a show with just Francis. Both shows concentrate on selling rubber corals. Uuggh.

its on tv its just for entertainment, ATM took alot of heat from hobbiests and apparently they can only do so much in so little time for the producers of the show.

who knows if all their tanks are done like this but i would assume they all aren't some just have to be in order to keep the viewer happy

its on tv its just for entertainment, ATM took alot of heat from hobbiests and apparently they can only do so much in so little time for the producers of the show.

who knows if all their tanks are done like this but i would assume they all aren't some just have to be in order to keep the viewer happy

I am amazed, both shows show customers complaining about there nasty algae covered coral inserts, to just go out and buy another multi-thousand dollar coral insert. What a racket.

I live in Vegas. I can say ATM does have its own set of issues. Extreme prices, poor customer relations, but man, they make some beautiful tanks.

I live in Vegas. I can say ATM does have its own set of issues. Extreme prices, poor customer relations, but man, they make some beautiful tanks.

I could see the customer service being an issue. They're probably too busy making TV and doing the gigantic and/or elaborate builds for the show.

I should have videotaped my build on my saltwater tank, then cut it together to show people what is really involved.

Back
Top Bottom