Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am planning on converting to salt and have a few q's

HI, currently i have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank. I really want to go over to salt it seems sooo cool. I dont think i want to do a full blown reef but i would like do have some live rock growth. So i would pretty much want afish and live rock tank. With live rock you get some color evetually right?
Currently for filtration i have a fluval 404 and 2 powerheads. Do i need anything more in filtration? ON lighting i have a shop light i bought at the hardware store, i know i would probably need some kind of reef light kind of thing to get live rock growth. right?
I have a sufficient heater. So basically once i move all my other stuff out of the tank what do i do?? Also what are some good beginners?
THANKS!!

Old 02-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

man we must be cut from the same cloth.I am in mid switch from 55 venustus to salt.404 fluval and 2 power heads.IMO if all you want is live rock ,fish and other non light demanding life your straight with what you got.

Make sure you get the right kinda ligh bulbs for the fixture for sure (online is the cheapest) that will make the live rock grow purple and spread.Stick around we can do this together.

I am goin reef , but no high tech lights.Just 2-3 shoplights (=4-6 48")with the right bulbs.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey thanks for the info! thats pretty cool how we have all the same stuff. Do you know the name of the type of light?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

you'll need to be doing some reading (more than I can explain) or the vets here can help I am sure. I'll look around tonight and drop a link
Old 03-01-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

bump...just trying to help you out
Old 03-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure what advice to give you I have a 120g that is set up with the high dollar equiptment that has been running for over a year, I test water twice weekly change 10% water bi-weekly dose calcium and other trace elements and have alot wrapped up in lighting. I also have a 29g that gets a monthly water change a simple heater/ph/filter that cost 20 bucks the normal florecent aquarium light there is nothing else I do to this 6 month old tank. I will tell you this the 29g is the only one that grows the purple coraline on the glass and the tank seems to be healthier then my 120 and this infuriates me to no end. If you just hang out on the forums you can learn alot in a short amount of time, ask questions before doing anything so you don't have to learn the hard way witch also seems to cost alot. One more thing welcome aboard.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info
Old 03-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok back to lights.After doing a bit of research I found the expensive Compact lighting does not alot if space is not the issue.

You need (imo) 2 x 2x48" (=4x48"bulbs). They need to be "T-12" bulb type fixture.HD has them for like $15, but I saw some yesterday at sears hardware for $10.

As for bulbs maybe 1xtrichomatic 1x10,000k 2x 03 atinic blue

I like corallife the ones I bought a few years ago are still working.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...3055&subref=AQ

Those guys are having a sale.I ordered mine last night.Good luck and keep us informed.

Oh ya you might get away with just 2-3 even since you dont want to have coral, but would still get 4

Tags
converting, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com