Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok now heres another question for you coyote and this is becoming a big problem and let me tell ya i have asked the world about it and no one knows even all my LFS have no idea. my sump keeps producing microbubbles and they are constantly coming out of my tank and theirs no leak, the pump deff has no bubbles trapped, my only thinking is my sump might be to shallow and the force from the water coming in is creating the bubbles i dont know if thats a possiblity? its a 20 gallon long (only thing that fits under the stand) and i also checked the skimmer and its not that eithier

Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
ok now heres another question for you coyote and this is becoming a big problem and let me tell ya i have asked the world about it and no one knows even all my LFS have no idea. my sump keeps producing microbubbles and they are constantly coming out of my tank and theirs no leak, the pump deff has no bubbles trapped, my only thinking is my sump might be to shallow and the force from the water coming in is creating the bubbles i dont know if thats a possiblity? its a 20 gallon long (only thing that fits under the stand) and i also checked the skimmer and its not that eithier
Do you have enough baffles with bubble traps? You can also use filter socks to reduce bubbles from your drain and skimmer return.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i have all of that, a little bit off topic but maybe you can help i put my canister filter on my tank and i am getting a lot of algae now all of a sudden is it possibly that the nutrients built up in my canister and now its just constantly leaching it back into my water fueling this stuff? (cannister was running on my 45 gallon tank for 8 months) do you think i should take it off the system since i have the sump and the live rock in the tank i really don't need it i would think?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
yea i have all of that, a little bit off topic but maybe you can help i put my canister filter on my tank and i am getting a lot of algae now all of a sudden is it possibly that the nutrients built up in my canister and now its just constantly leaching it back into my water fueling this stuff? (cannister was running on my 45 gallon tank for 8 months) do you think i should take it off the system since i have the sump and the live rock in the tank i really don't need it i would think?
The canister could be the problem. Good live rock and a protein skimmer is usually enough filtration for most systems.

As to bubbles, there can be an almost invisible tornado of air that might be getting in the intake, or the intake is causing too much back pressure and the impeller in your pump is "caveating." That will generate tiny bubbles even if there is no air leaks.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok let me ask you i am sorry if i am bugging you but no one seems to be able to figure this out, i just switched my sump around so the intake is on the far side of my sump and the bubble trap is now where the return pump sits before it was visa versa could this of been my problem i am waiting to see any results but i am just curious if you think that could of been a problem
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

also i thought another chance my problem could be was that the return pump was to strong i have a mag 9.5 on their right now do you think that could be causing bubbles because it is to strong
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

micro bubbles in your dt from your return pump is always caused by air being pulled into the return pump in your sump,what is the depth of water in the return pump section,how is the water flowing into the return pump section?,a few photo's of your sump setup would help.
As for the chaeto and algae,whats your water test results
Chaeto wont grow within 2 days,where is the chaeto(good flow) is it floating or has it sunk?
Chaeto tends to grow when its in good flow and is tumbling(but needs nutrients hence test results),if not then just good flow and under light,light schedule opposite dt lighting is fine.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

the water in the return pump section is atleast 6 inches above the pump maybe more and their are no leaks anywhere so i dont know where it would be sucking air, you dont think it has anything to do with the power of the pump?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

nope,the power of the pump wont cause air bubbles from nowhere,is the water level the same as the last baffle or below it,also is the water outlet in the dt near the surface
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

its above the first baffle but right at the tip of the last baffle.

Tags
chaeto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com