Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am trying to grow some chaeto

i have a dual HO t5 solarmax light laying right on top of my 20 gallon sump. i am trying to grow some chaeto and was wondering if i can just leave my lights running on it 24/7 or will it do better another way, it doesnt seem to be doing very good cause it falls apart very easily. but i dont know if that could just be that its only been in the sump 2 days now

Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run my fuge light 24/7, no problems. My first batch of chaeto was not growing so I actually took mine out and bought some from a store I saw just get it in. It grew from a golf ball to a basket ball in a month. I also feed my tank rather heavy and everyone is growing and happiest its ever been.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I grow algae in a algae scrubber. I found that 24 hour illumination was a waste of electricity. The algae grew just as fast with only 12 hours of light. I just run the scrubber lights when the main tank lights are off, helps with PH swing.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea but if you do that doesnt the main tank still grow algea because when it is on its absorbing nutrients and the refugium isnt competing because it is off and then visa versa?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
yea but if you do that doesnt the main tank still grow algea because when it is on its absorbing nutrients and the refugium isnt competing because it is off and then visa versa?
I think the real trick is that the algae scrubber gets over three times the PAR the reef does. Plant life has a respiration cycle that gets weird when illumination is 24 hours.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard great things about the algae scrubbers. I leave my fuge on 24 hours because I read that it keeps the chaeto from letting its spores out. Or flowering. I can't remember exactly but I will find the articles.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am actually kind of lost by what you mean with an algea scrubber isnt that just the magnet i use to clean my glass i am talking about in a refugium, and i coyote i know your pretty knowledgble i tend to be impatient with this stuff and i know it takes time but i just transfered my 45 and the sand from it into my 75 gallon tank do you think i am starting to have a bloom because of this? i was thinking about doing 5 gallon water changes once a day 5 days a week for a few weeks you thinik that will help
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's cool. You will learn a lot on this forum. Algae scrubbing has been used many commercial aquariums for years to strip water of nutrients they can't strip with a protien skimmer or the like. Used in reef tanks mostly, it uses beneficial algae grown on racks under very bright light to concentrate the systems algae growth in that area.

I can only say testing and appropriate water changes will lead to a cycled tank.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

isnt that basically what i am doing with my refugium just without the racks? and will my algea die from 24/7 lighting. and the tank has already cycled its been a functioning tank for about 8 months i just transfered my 45 to a 75 and am experiencing the start of a bloom
Old 10-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, basically. Scrubbers are a bit more oriented towards algae growth and less a refugium.

Tags
chaeto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com