Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can post some pictures later when I start to clean the sump out, I have the sump and protein skimmer. does a 65 gallon tank need two ballast? I was just wondering if the two bulbs on the working ballast would suffice.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I have found a few that fit the dimensions and power. They are about 5 bucks, I would just have to order and install. Will one ballast suffice in the mean time? There are two 18 inch power compact bulbs, I do need to replace them though, only one is burning bright.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That light will be fine for the time being, just if/when you decide to start getting corals your going to need to upgrade your lighting with something more powerful.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trash the bioballs, more effort to clean them than they are worth. More than likely you will have little bits of broken off rock (rubble) left in the buckets after you move the rock into the tank, take the rubble and stuff it in the sump where you currently have the bioballs.

If there are portions of hair algae, I would recommend you at least scrub those areas and then rinse the rock in fresh sw because a good sized small chunk of that can spread fast when the tank has been established for a while.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, SOOOO I am about to start adding the water. I bought all new lights and ballast. New Bio Balls, all new water, and 60 lbs of sand. I rinsed the sand thoroughly and spread it out, I have 2-3" of coverage on the whole bottom.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
nice! take some pics!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

BEHOLD!!!! LOOK WHAT I HAVE CREATED!!! haha

I will add the rock from my tank in the coming weeks. I will be checking the parameters as I go. The protein skimmer is busted, so right now I don't have one. I will look into it this week, I just didn't feel like messing with it tonight.

The new light system is a Deep Blue SolarmaxHE double T5 System. Has moonlights too, looks nice. I know it won't support corals now, I may upgrade later, but for my FOWLR it is fine.

I am happy to report that the Maroon Clownfish LIVED!!! He was turned in to the LFS for 16 bucks which went towards the new lights. I told the LFS his name had to be Rocky to have lived in that tank.

The tank has been circulating for two hours and the water is clearing up really well. It is really starting to look nice, I will change my rocks around tomorrow, I just kind of threw them in there tonight. I still think despite the issues it was a steal for 300 bucks. I do have a question, my pump is running very well, but it sound like it is vibrating sitting in the sump. When I pick it up off the bottom it is silent, is there anything I can use to dampen this noise? Perhaps some rubber spaces of some sort...

Thanks for everyone's advice, I am happy to see this ended well for everyone. I got a tank at a steal, even if it needed some work, I managed to save the clownfish and best of all that woman is torturing anymore livestock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1222.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	28984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1224.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	28985  

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
try a mouse pad or one of those rubber protectors you put in the bottom of the sink, under the pump.
doing quite well it seems. congrats!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some before and after pics of the sump. As well as a picture I just took of the tank. The pump was disgusting, no two ways about it.

I don't think any of the rock spent more than 5 minutes total out of water during the whole move, not bad at all. LFS said he would wait two weeks before adding my livestock, assuming all levels check out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1213.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	28986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1228.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	28987  

Name:	DSCN1229.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	28988  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com