Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I think the tank is perfect for reef. Really the only advantage to a longer tank is being able to house longer fish like the larger tangs.

The new light in the front sounds good.

sump/fuge isn't necessary for filtration. The extra volume of water keeps pollution more diluted but your lr will provide the bacteria and the skimmer will keep DOC low. I'd add another 50 lbs of lr though when you get a chance.

Your canister is best run empty or if not cleaned at least every other week since waste traps very easily in it.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone! I decided to take the leap!

I've ordered the 529W Fixture with 2x150w MH and 4x54W t-5 actinics

I'll have a total of 789W with MH, T5, and PC! I'm really excited!

I'm also going to try and pick up a HOB refugium to make things perfect.

I'm really excited!! Hopefully I'll get to post some great pictures soon!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
That's a crazy amount of light. Can't wait to see the tank pictures and setup. You thinking sps tank?

Congrats on the big purchase

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I'm really excited.

To be completely honest I don't even know what SPS is. I just know there's hard/soft, LPS and SPS.

I only first started into aquarium stuff 1.5 months ago, so I've been playing catch up ever since! People here have been really helpful and made things a lot easier! I was going to do a cichlid tank (as per a friends advice of a "cool tank" but then decided on SW, and now a reef).

I'm going to research as much as I can before I decide to purchase anything - I know I was looking at a green coral in the store, I believe it was a Zoanthus. It looks nice - but as I read on fantasyreef, it can release a toxin that causes the flu/possibly death. Something like that is scary to me as I can be careless sometimes so I may have to pick corals based on safety :P

I'm also moving in 4 months, and I don't want to risk trying to move too much so I won't be heavily stocking my tank until June/later. I will definitely be posting pictures with updates as I go along!

My current stock is:
Bluefin Damsel
Three stripe Damsel
Sergeant Major Damsel
Tomato Clown
20x Snails (Astrae or Turbo, not sure) - I don't plan to add more until moved, because I worry about crushing them/not finding them while moving rockwork.
8x hermit crab. I think they have blue legs but not 100% certain

Shortly, I plan to add:
Kole Tang+Yellow tang at same time
1 shrimp - I worry about problems between damsels/shrimp so I might just pick up the cheapest one.

When light arrives:
Some corals

There are of course other fish I'd like to get, schooling chromis for instance, but I will wait until I move. I may give the damsels to my friend when I move. I also need to research which corals go well together to make sure I get the right mix.

Ultimately, I'd like to have:
Tomato clownfish (as long as he isn't too aggressive)
Schooling blue-green chromis x 5
Kole Tang/Yellow Tang. I'd like a third but I don't know if it's a good idea.
2x cleaner shrimp, 1x peppermint or possibly CBS (maybe add CBS last?)
50-100x snails
50-100x crabs
Goby of some kind
Mandarin dragonet
Starfish x 2-3

Other small fish undecided - gamma, dottyback, maybe a maroon clown. etc. this is all long in the future though.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Cool. SPS stands for Small Polyp Stony coral. It's like your acroporas, hydnophora, montipora, etc. The hard, branchy corals. The require bright lights (most of them) and high flow, usually more difficult to keep than others such as LPS corals, softies, zoos, and those.

Zoanthids are a very very safe coral, just don't go putting your hand in your tank with ope sores on it, putting them in your mouth or licking it and you are fine. Palythoas are a little more dangerous, but still very safe. There are other reef diseases that you can get like Mycobaterium marinum, which usually just results as a rash and some swelling, but can get worse especially if you touch your mouth, eyes, lips, etc. So just wash your hands after you get done fulling around in your tank and you'll have no issues. Really, don't not get what you want because you are afraid of the toxin. Not worth it.

Just wanted to add that the Mandarin should be added after atleat a year. They are very finicky eaters that require massive populations of copepods in your tank. A refugium would be neccesary to keep up their populations. Definitley do more research on this species before you buy.

Else, Best of luck!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ah, ok I've never actually seen what SPS stands for before.

I have about 820+820+920 gph = 2500gph for 120 tank so approx. a little over 20x flow. The powerheads aim at the top and create oxygen exchange and I'll have the filter will shoot towards the live rock.

I may have experienced that rash already - I've had my arms sort of ache and itch a bit after having my arm in my tank. After that i've always washed my arms after

I am aware of the mandarin requirements. That would be the last fish I add - and I would have a refugium and a tank established for 1.5 years at least by that point.

I just talk about it because I'm really excited - and it's difficult because it's such a slow process I will need to keep myself happy with progress pics!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I have had that rash before too. Dunno exactly what is it. It wasn't Mycobaterium though, you will know when you get that, trust me.

Can't wait to see pictures of the tank.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
I have had that rash before too. Dunno exactly what is it. It wasn't Mycobaterium though, you will know when you get that, trust me.

Can't wait to see pictures of the tank.
I've added pics to my gallery... but they're pending approval. I'll continue uploading pics to my gallery as things progress. If you wanted to see what I have so far, here is the thread:

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91864
Old 12-24-2006, 02:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was just wondering - Will that wattage be enough for me to have any coral/anemone/clam I want?

Power compact:
130w dual daylight
130w dual actinic

MH:
2x 150w 10,000k (spread evenly among the 4')

T5:
4x54w dual actinic (2/420 and 2/460)

I just wanted to make sure in case I should get a slightly better light. I think 789w/4x2x2/120g is enough for anything?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Not much more you could add to that to get more lighting besides going with 250w MH. I think you are fine right now and that pretty much any coral/anemone/clam will be fine in your tank.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com