Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for all the comments. I use Purigen, by SeaChem to help control the nitrates. I 'll probably add another bag to the overhead drip filtration now to attempt to drop it further. Again, I have not seen any problems for the dozen fish that have been in the tank since Sept 2011 when it was set up - thank you for the advice and concern.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Well, keep us posted!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks to all - and I certainly will keep ya'll posted - Have a gr8 Reef Day!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

With my algae turf scrubber and dosing various chemicals, my 300 gallon reef went a couple of years without a water change when i was occupied with work and did ok. But I am back to 10% every other week and the reef looks much better for it. As said above, there are many elements we don't test for that could become depleted or over concentrated without periodic water exchanges. Now if you had a gas chromatograph, it might be a different story.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, it's the unknown toxics that worry me. After much thought and consultation with the guy who got me started in this in the 1st place I've done a 20% water change, and will continue with a 10% every other week. My pH has already improved as well as the nitrates, I started using Phosban and phosphates are less than one now. Thanks for the help to all...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness52 View Post
I agree, it's the unknown toxics that worry me. After much thought and consultation with the guy who got me started in this in the 1st place I've done a 20% water change, and will continue with a 10% every other week. My pH has already improved as well as the nitrates, I started using Phosban and phosphates are less than one now. Thanks for the help to all...
Excellent. I pay attention to the phosphate number more than ph or most other things. The lower it is the better, although fish can tolerate it much better than coral does. Good luck to you!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure if it is the same thing but in my freshwater days I never did water changes and rarely lost any fish. I had a piranha that lived almost 5 years with no water changes and I use to feed it live food.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've also had freshwater aquariums, one that was a 55 gallon long tank that had a Chocolate Cichlid, and an Arowana in it. I'd throw sewage worms I'd collect with a net from a clarifier at work in that tank at least three times a week. I never even thought of doing any water changes to that tank. Those fish more than doubled in size before I gave the tank and fish away after two years. Never had a problem and those fish were always healthy and happy... The guy who gave me the tank, and fish originally had that tank stuffed in his tiny mobile home, decorated the bottom with beach sand, and an old tennis shoe - the water was so cloudy you could hardly see the fish! So I guess that freshwater species are a lot more tolerant than salt water...

Tags
60 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com