i dont want to over feed. what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had my tank going fo about 2 months and everything is going fine. i have a few corals and two clown fish right now but plan on getting more fish this week. I am feeding my clowns sinking pellets but my concern is i drop a few in and they catch a few but let alot drop to the sand and i dont know if im supposed to keep feeding or what. i dont want to over feed. what should i do?

Just feed a couple of pellets. Fish need very little food to survive. Any food they don't eat you need to scoop up and take it out of the tank. Or you could get a goby that will eat the food on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone

you should feed a varied diet. mix it up a bit. some days pellets, some days frozen, some days flake.
whether your fish eat the food or not, it's still in the tank. just be aware of how much food you are adding, and match that with your nutrient export.
extra water changes, vacuuming the sand bed perhaps, a skimmer, or a larger skimmer...etc.

As Mr. X, pointed out, your clowns need a varied diet, I feed twice per week. once frozen and I alternate pellets and flake for the other weekly feeding. It seems to work out well, my nitrate stay pretty low and my clowns are healthy.

thanks for the advice guys and i will try all those options in a few weeks when i cn get a new tank... i woke u this morning to 100 gallons of flooded carpet and an empty tank.. cracked in the back over night

All the water drained out over night, that is a shame. So you lost the livestock I assume. I'm sorry to hear, you said you just got the tank 2 months ago right?

yes the stand was not built correctly to hold that tan kand the back seperated from the bottom. i was able to save a few shrimp, snails, hermits, and corals, they are all being kept by my LFS until my new tank finishes cycling

the fish didnt make it?

I am really sorry to hear. Did you buy the tank and stand new?

yes i bought it brand new.. none of the fish made it. according to the guy at the lfs the stand and tank was a mismatch of over inventory and they thought they would work together.

They are replacing it with a proper stand at their expense I would assume. If not, you need to find a new lfs desperately.

Back
Top Bottom