I dropped Nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off Hydrometers are not good if intend to have a reef tank. Get yourself a "Refractometer. Price is about $50 dollars and will be one of the best investments you will make.
For lthe time been soak you hydrometer in saltwater for awhile and see it that corrects the problem.

Its been soaking for 12+ hours and nothing. I will find a refractometer.

So here is the dumb question of the day. When I do water changes, 10-25% it says in the manual, why do I replace it with fresh water and not salt water? I never have to replace salt water again in the tank?

I know when the water evaporates, fresh water leaves and the salt says but if I"m removing 10-25% of the water for a water change, why only fresh? Doesn't the salt deplete eventually? This doesn't make sense to me.

Its been soaking for 12+ hours and nothing. I will find a refractometer.

So here is the dumb question of the day. When I do water changes, 10-25% it says in the manual, why do I replace it with fresh water and not salt water? I never have to replace salt water again in the tank?

I know when the water evaporates, fresh water leaves and the salt says but if I"m removing 10-25% of the water for a water change, why only fresh? Doesn't the salt deplete eventually? This doesn't make sense to me.

When you do a salt water water change, every time you change with salt you are adding more salt while the reverse is dilution. And it's also why you get a hydrometer or refractory unit.

The only fresh water you add to your tank is water lost due to evaporation . When you replace water in a water change you mix your salt to match the water in your tank. You bring your PWC(partial water change) to the temp of your tank, you set the SG to 1.025...I like 1.025 because it leaves room for errors. You can also monitor your KH and other elements that may be off.
Who gave you such bad advise???????????

Last edited:
I didn't get that. My attempt:
When you do a water change you take out saltwater so you add saltwater; when your water evaporates only the water evaporates, not the salt. So if you topped off with SW you'd raise your saltwater all the time. Get it? :)

You are not adding more salt. You are replacing dirty saltwater with fresh saltwater. In Evaporated water your salt stays back, but when you replace old tank water you are taking the salt out and you have replace it with water that matches the parameter of lthe water you replaced. We all wish that we could just add freshwater to the tank, But that would make it a freshwater tank in no time flat.

When you do a salt water water change, every time you change with salt you are adding more salt while the reverse is dilution. And it's also why you get a hydrometer or refractory unit.
Now who gave you such bad information!!!???:confused:

Now mitchel, This is not funny. someone somewhere is giving out really bad information. This is the second thread that I have come across this method of doing water chanes with fresh water. Always replace old tank water with freshly mixed saltwater, NOT WITH FRESHWATER.
AGAIN FRESHWATER IS ONLY USED FOR REPLACING EVAPORATED TANK WATER.

Last edited:
I agree it's not good but it's always good to be light-hearted afterwards, knowing that everythings fixed. :)

This bad info is probably coming from random sites that are full of BS. Just this night I read on two different sites:

T.crocea is probably the most difficult clam is keep alive in captivity

T.crocea is an excellent choice for beginners as it is hardy and can survive fluctuations.

BTW which one is correct?

To tell you the truth I don't know. It all depends on if you got the correct amount of light ( lots and lots) and you don't have fish that would constantly pick on it.

Holly cow, I swear to god this is way too much pressure and I feel like its hard to trust anyone. The guy at the fish store told me this and I am thinking he wasn't listening to my question. I am going there tomorrow and Plan to talk to the owner.

I swear I am an educated person but this is a very consufing process.

You folks on this site really do care and I feel comfortable w/the advice I am getting here.

I swear I am an educated person but this is a very consufing process.

You folks on this site really do care and I feel comfortable w/the advice I am getting here.

That's why were here. :) Yeah SW is confusing when you start but it gets easier. :) Basically:

Topping up the tank after evaporation: Freshwater.

Water Change: Saltwater.

I got it! Duh. haven't had my coffee yet. The good news is my clown fish are still alive...day 3...whew!

They will also blow your mind with they stupidity sometimes. :lol:
sorry i have to comment here. i was watchign a you tube video of this guys tank. and the tang was swimming back and forth from one end to the other and the 2 clowns were follong behind one way, then when the tang stopped the clowns would stop. then when the tang turned around the clowns would sprint to the other side and wait for the tang and follow it again. was so funny.

Back
Top Bottom