i finally found some

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
some "old castle" tropical play sand at a HD in cincinnatti. i bought 300lbs. $30.00

i got a question: why does it say on the bottom of the sand bay "not for use in aquariums"? i hear everyone talk this brand. it even says on the bag "from the caribean".

also how many pounds of sand should i use for a 120 gal. 48x24x24

thanks for the help.

mark

I've heard they must print "Not for Aquarium Use" on the bags as per some agreement with a company that get sand from the same place and sells it for aquarium use at like 5x the price.

The amount of sand you would use depends largely on how deep you want the sand. There is a calculator that will tell you how many pounds for your tank size and desired depth.

jamal has it exactly right. The company that supplies the sand to Old Castle has a non-compete agreement with Carib Sea stating they cannot sell the sand to any comercialy competing company. Old castle is not in the aquarium biz so they can sell to them but they have to use the "not for aquarium use" stamp on the bag. I had the exact same question when I first found it... don't fret. :)

For my 55 (48x12) I used 2 50# bags and got 4" of sand so your tank is twice as wide so use 4 50# bags (200 pounds) and you should have, on average, a 4" DSB.

HTH

if your gonna do a DSB than IMO 5" is the # to shoot for. if you use the calculator link (as already suggested) than you need 331 lbs. i would put it all in :mrgreen:

i found a 1/2 a skid (60 units) at the forest park store (by the forest fair mall)----1-513-671-6012.

i was told that the beechmont store carries it to. 1-513-688-1654

i was also told that these stores carry them year round due to the demand by us aquarists :D

be sure you ask for tropical play sand not southdown, old castle, etc.

let me know if you need directions

mark

The Beechmont would be great. I can swing right by it, as I'll be on 275 to bypass town. Thanks for the numbers, I'll call and ask prior to my departure. Kudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom