Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't do fish food, do a shrimp...like from the seafood section at your grocery store (not cooked). Regular foods can rot or possibly add phosphates. Shrimp does the trick.

Are you testing your water regularly? You mentioned live rock "where you work". Are you at a fish store?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good thing I didn't use fish food. Right now there is a shrimp from HEB in there. I work at a aquarium store and yes I test regularly my ammonia is kind high, but not really high then again my tank has only been up for 2 days should I be testing for nitrites? or anything for that matter?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would test for amonia, nitrites and nitrates at least while it is cycling. Use the liquid test kits, not strips. You will see how all three fluctuate, with the end goal being the ammonia and trites going to zero and trates being high. Should take about a month...less if you have live rock and/or live sand added. After its cycled, I'd check nitrates regularly and I tend to check the others about every other week. Ph is good to check as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you do not have any inhabitants in your tank yet, there is really no need to worry how bad your water parameter cause that is expected to happen. No need to change water either cause that ammonia will serve as a good indicator later that your tank has cycled even without changing water and created enough bacteria. It will drop down itself when enough good bacteria munching them down to form nitrites and finally to nitrates. After a week without out changing water, remove that rotten shrimp and then start taking readings of ammonia. Once it goes down close to zero you can change water to get rid of that nitrates. Usually it will take another week and nitrite would be close to zero then that is the time you can add fish in your tank after changing water completely.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com