Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I finally got some Chaeto (mini fuge pics!)

I found someone giving away Chaeto local to me on another forum. I met him last week and he gave me a big bag of nice green chaeto with some Pod life and a 2 inch Bristleworm.

I do not have a sump yet until I get a larger tank, so I did the standard conversion of turning my AC300 filter into a refugium to grow the Chaeto and give the Pods in my tank a place to safely reproduce. To light the fuge, I am using a $5 clip light from Wal Mart and a $5 6500K daylight PC bulb from Wal Mart as well.

Here is the basic setup, I used the AC media holder as a baffle and secured it in the filter with aquarium silicone. The baffle is cut down to about half an inch under the outlet dump of the filter. I used pieces from the other side of the holder and more silicone to seal up the holes that would normally be in the compartment. The prevent the Chaeto from getting out, I used the bottom section of the holder:

Here is the clip light. I secured it to the wall with two long wood screws into to the wall studs. Not the most elegant solution, but it works for right now, and it is dirt cheap being only $10 for the clip light and a bulb good for growing aquatic plants:

If this works well, I will build a little light box that fits right on top of the AC300 instead of this.

And here is a ball of Chaeto in the fuge. In the bottom I have some LS and unseen is a piece of LR on the other side of the Chaeto:

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Looks great! You can buy about a quarter of what you got on eBay for like $25.00

Free is NICE

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is less than half of the total Chaeto that I received. Too bad it is too cold to ship this stuff or I could spread it around to a few AA members.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a lot of Chaeto. Very nice. Mine has kept my nitrates at pretty much 0. It does a great job........watch as your nitrates go down, I'm sure they will.

Jim

Tags
chaeto, mini, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com