I finally got some Chaeto (mini fuge pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found someone giving away Chaeto local to me on another forum. I met him last week and he gave me a big bag of nice green chaeto with some Pod life and a 2 inch Bristleworm.

I do not have a sump yet until I get a larger tank, so I did the standard conversion of turning my AC300 filter into a refugium to grow the Chaeto and give the Pods in my tank a place to safely reproduce. To light the fuge, I am using a $5 clip light from Wal Mart and a $5 6500K daylight PC bulb from Wal Mart as well.

Here is the basic setup, I used the AC media holder as a baffle and secured it in the filter with aquarium silicone. The baffle is cut down to about half an inch under the outlet dump of the filter. I used pieces from the other side of the holder and more silicone to seal up the holes that would normally be in the compartment. The prevent the Chaeto from getting out, I used the bottom section of the holder:

fuge1.jpg

Here is the clip light. I secured it to the wall with two long wood screws into to the wall studs. Not the most elegant solution, but it works for right now, and it is dirt cheap being only $10 for the clip light and a bulb good for growing aquatic plants:

fuge2.jpg

If this works well, I will build a little light box that fits right on top of the AC300 instead of this.

And here is a ball of Chaeto in the fuge. In the bottom I have some LS and unseen is a piece of LR on the other side of the Chaeto:

fuge3.jpg

That is less than half of the total Chaeto that I received. Too bad it is too cold to ship this stuff or I could spread it around to a few AA members.

That's a lot of Chaeto. Very nice. Mine has kept my nitrates at pretty much 0. It does a great job........watch as your nitrates go down, I'm sure they will.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom