Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question I found another hitchhiker

This morning I found a nudibranch on the back glass of my tank. I didnt purchase him so I know he hitchhiked to get to me. My question is will he destroy my corrals? The little guy is a brown/dark red color with a bunch of little algae like branches on his back. I called my local guys Aquarium Concepts and they asked me to bring him in. I hate to do that and stress the poor guy out so Im hoping maybe someone on this site is familiar with this slug. I'd like to give him a permanent home because he is really neat looking but that depends on if he isnt the type to munch on my corrals.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pictures? Even an expert can't ID it without seeing it. LOL

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Awe man I tried to get a picture of him but my fish wouldnt get out of the way. The picture I got is just embarrasing! I will try to take a better one tonight (hopefully if I can find him) and post it tomorrow.
Thank you so much for responding. Im new at this but trying my best!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Took me over a week to get a clear enough view of one of my hitchhikers for a picture. And by that time, I could see it well enough to ID myself. There's always something going on in a SW tank!
What's your tank setup, and what all do you have in it so far?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a Mandarin, a Horseshoe crab, a Clown fish (I had two but one went to fishy heaven) a Cardinal, and a few turbo snails and a hermit crab. I also have some kinda slug & a couple tiny starfish, and that nudibranch that hitchhiked over. I have some corrals too but I dont know what the names are. One looks like green grass, another one looks like a giant red/brown sponge with green spots all over it. Those are the corrals I purchased myself. I bought the tank used off of some guy on Craigslist so it came with a bunch of other corral and damsels. I took the little fish back to the store because they were super unhappy. Always fighting with each other. They were SUPER hard to catch! I had to take 1/4 of the water out and I was sweating by the time I caught them all. Poor little guys were so scared! I found out later that the guy I bought them from just had too many in the tank and that why all of the fights lol... I think there was 10 of them.
My tank is a 34 gallon Red Sea and I was told 6 small fish was plenty for the size. I already had a Tang & that Clown fish pass away and it really broke my heart. I'm waitng a couple months before I introduce any other fish to the tank. Everyone gets along great right now so I plan to only get 2 more fish that arent territorial and somewhat sturdy. Any suggestions?
I definitely have to get some pictures up soon so I dont sound so stupeee.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Damsels are super pretty, but are fairly aggressive for such little fish. And ten in a 36 gallon is definitely too many!
While there is no cut and dry formula for stocking in a SW tank, a decent rule of thumb is 1 linear inch of fish for every two-three gallons. So, between the clown, mandarin, and cardinal, you're round about ten inches. I wouldn't add much more than that. If you have a sump, that adds gallons without increasing tank size. Hehe.
What's this about a tang? What kind? Is it still in there? Most tangs get pretty big and need large tanks.
The coral descriptions aren't ringing any bells, so I'd love to see pictures as soon as you get them!
I love my six line wrasse, if you're looking for another small fish to put in. Squirrelly looking fellow. Always darting around, and the stripes on his eyes make him look really funny especially as he tilts his eyes around. And he never stops moving! It's hard to get pictures of him because of that. Firefish Gobies are gorgeous, but shy enough they should be introduced first.
Let me know as soon as you have some pictures! I love seeing other people's tanks to get ideas. LOL
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice on the fish! I will add just one small more fish. I will definitely check those fish out! Im going to take pictures tonight so I can post them tomorrow for you. Then maybe I can pick your brain a little. Whats funny is I go to the SW store and the guys there tell me whats hard to keep and whats not. So far I've only put things in the tank that Im told arent too hard to maintain.
As for my Tang I think I must of had bad water quality or something. My protein pump took a crap on me and it was a couple days before I noticed. I've learned since then to check everything once or twice a day.
It was weird the fish was happy for a couple months and then one day he turned a kind of brown color. I went to the store and told them my fish looked unhappy and they gave me some seaweed & a clip to attach to the tank so he could eat that instead of the shrimp I'd been giving them. He ate it but still ended up passing away a few days later. I was REALLY sad about the loss. As strange as it may sound I felt like it was all my fault (probably was) and that I should have took some different steps to save him when I first noticed he was sick. When I found him he had been half eaten by the crab and even though its the circle of life it made me want to cry lol... Im a big baby I guess!
Ok, Im going off line now. I will be bugging you tomorrow!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, advice from the fish store is good, but it should only be used to supplement your own research. It took me over a week to decide on my stocking list when I was setting up my tank. I spent a lot of time reading forums, descriptions, articles, etc.
The tang may have needed a bigger tank, but it's hard to say. Always sucks to lose a fish. Non fishy people don't really get it.
My brain is always available for picking! I only request that you do not use sharp metal implements to do so.
Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I got the pictures up as promised. I even put up the terrible picture of the Nudibranch in case you might be able to recognize him. I did notice that some of those green pollup looking corrals have gone missing. Umm... Im not a rocket scientist but in one month Ive noticed corrals are missing and all of a sudden a fat little Nudibranch appeared. If he turns out to be the culprit Aquarium concepts will take him for me & hopefully find him a home.
So I wanted to ask you about this corral I have.. I think its a corral anyway. It looks like a long stalk and has maybe one more smaller branch and its growing pretty fast. By chance do you know what the heck it is?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm only seeing a single picture as the background on your user profile, but can't seem to find your gallery. If your gallery is up, and I'm just not finding it, PM me a link?

Tags
hitchhiker

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com